Sunday, February 20, 2022

Abbess Catherine Bulkeley of Godstow's letter to Lord Thomas Cromwell, dated March 12, 1536

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 3, page 232, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846


The letter:

My moste especiall good Lorde. After my moste humble dewtie and immortal thanks for your infynyte goodnes towarde me, thies be to aduertise your Honor that where as the laste weke I was enformyd by the Deane of th'Arches lettres that you ar so good Lorde unto me as to accepte this lyttle office of the Stewardeship of this Monasterie, I am so boulde as to sende unto your Honor herewith the Patente thereof under our Convent Seale for terme of your liffe, beseching your Honor to accepte the same, thoughe it be but smalle; ffor if it were a M. tymes better you shuld have it with all my harte and praiers, as knowes our Savior Cryste, who ever preserve you in honor duely to increace to his pleasure. Amen. At Godistowe, the xijth daie of Marche.
Yor moste bownden bedswooman,
KATHERINE BULKELEY, Abbes there.

With modernised spelling:

My most especial good Lord. After my most humble duty and immortal thanks for your infinite goodness toward me, this be to advertise Your Honour that whereas the last week I was informed by the Dean of the Arch's letters that you are so good Lord unto me as to accept this little office of the stewardship of this Monastery, I am so bold as to send unto Your Honour herewith the patent thereof under our convent seal for term of your life, beseeching Your Honour to accept the same, though it be but small; for if it were a thousand times better you should have it with all my heart and prayers, as knows our Saviour Christ, who ever preserve you in honour duly to increase to His pleasure. Amen. At Godstow, the 12th day of March.
Your most bounden beadswoman,
CATHERINE BULKELEY, Abbess there.

Notes: advertise = to warn.

beadswoman = female petitioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment