Sunday, February 20, 2022

Margaret Vernon, former Prioress of Little Marlow's letter to Secretary Thomas Cromwell, year circa 1535

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 3, page 10, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846


Letters of royal and illustrious ladies of Great Britain, volume 5, page 183, Mary Anne Everett-Green, 1846


The letter:

After most humble com̃endations, &c. Pleaseth it your goodnes to be advertised that I have dyvers tymes ben at the Rolles to have spoken with your Mastership, but by the reason of the great multitude of suters, and also for lacke of frendship within your Mastership his Howse, I am kepte backe, so that I can not come to your presens to sollicite my cause. Wherfore, I most humblye besech you to lycens me to write my mynde at large. And that it maye stande with your pleasor to com̃ande one within your Howse to put you in remembrance for any answare of your determination and pleasor. Syr, my request ys to desire you to call to remembrance your good and comfortable promises made both unto me and unto my frendes, whereunto I have ever hitherto trusted: besechinge your goodnes to open unto me some parte of your determinacõn what thing ye mynde that I shall have: or els to helpe me to some reasonable lyvinge, so that I maye not contynue this longe sute. For I have but senglye provyded for my self to maynteyne it with all, be cause your Mastership com̃anded me that I shuld nothing imbecill or take away, but leave the Howse as wealthie as I cowld, which com̃andement I folowed. I hope all shalbe for the best. I praye oure Lorde put in your hearte to make provision for me accordinge to his holy will and pleasor, and wholye to rule your Mastership by his spirite. Amen. Written from Stepney, the days after S. Paull.
Your assured and most humble beydewoman,
MARGRET VERNON.
late Priores of litle Marlow.

To the right worshipfull Master Crumwell,
the Kynge his Chief Secretary.

With modernised spelling (aided by source 2):

After most humble commendations, &c., pleaseth it your goodness to be advertised that I have diverse times been at the Rolls to have spoken with Your Mastership, but by the reason of the great multitude of suitors, and also for lack of friendship within Your Mastership's house, I am kept back, so that I cannot come to your presence to sollicite my cause. Wherefore I most humbly beseech you to license me to write my mind at large, and that it may stand with your pleasure to command one within your house to put you in remembrance for any answer of your determination and pleasure. Sir, my request is to desire you to call to remembrance your good and comfortable promises made both unto me and unto my friends, whereunto I have ever hitherto trusted, beseeching your goodness to open unto me some part of your determination what thing ye mind that I shall have, or else to help me to some reasonable living, so that I may not continue this long suit; for I have but singly provided for myself to maintain it withal, because Your Mastership commanded me that I should nothing embezzle or take away, but leave the house as wealthy as I could, which commandement I followed. I hope all shall be for the best. I pray our Lord put [it] in your heart to make provision for me according to His holy will and pleasure, and wholly to rule Your Mastership by His Spirit. Amen. Written from Stepney, the days after St. Paul.
Your assured and most humble beadwoman,
MARGARET VERNON.
late Prioress of Little Marlow.

To the right worshipful Master Cromwell,
the King's Chief Secretary.

Note: advertised = warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment