Sunday, February 20, 2022

Margaret Tewkesbury, Abbess of Godstow's letter to Secretary Thomas Cromwell, year circa 1535

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 3, page 116, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846


The letter:

Pleasith it your Mastership, with my dayly prayers, to accepte your litle poor fee by this berer, and for Goddes sake to continue your towarde mynde in my sueitt to you, and for the furtherauns therof to peruse a letter wiche I have devysed to the Kings Highnes, and to delyuer the same to his Grace as you thincke best if it be made as it ought to be, and if not to sende me wourde howe I shall order my self, and I shall be gladde to folowe your advise and counceill. And I pray you gyve credñce to this berer, Doctour Gwent, and what so ever he doth saye to you I shall abide by it, with the grace of God, who kepe you my especiall good Master, in wourship ever to encreas to his pleasure. Amen. At Godstowe, this Mighelmas eve. Your bounden daly beades woman,
MARGARET TEWKESBURY,
Abbes of Godstowe.

To the right honorable and my moost
especiall good master, Mr. Crumwell, Secretary to the Kings Grace.

With modernised spelling:

Pleaseth it Your Mastership, with my daily prayers, to accept your little poor fee by this bearer, and for God's sake to continue your toward mind in my suit to you, and for the furtherance thereof to peruse a letter which I have devised to the King's Highness, and to deliver the same to His Grace as you think best if it be made as it ought to be, and if not, to send me word how I shall order myself, and I shall be glad to follow your advice and counsel. And I pray you give credence to this bearer, Doctor Gwent, and whatsoever he doth say to you, I shall abide by it, with the grace of God, who keep you, my especial good Master, in worship ever to increase to His pleasure. Amen. At Godstow, this Michaelmas Eve. Your bounden daily beadswoman,
MARGARET TEWKESBURY,
Abbess of Godstow.

To the right honourable and my most
especial good master, Mr. Cromwell, Secretary to the King's Grace.

Note: beadswoman = female petitioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment