Sunday, February 20, 2022

Joyce, former Prioress of Catesby's letter to Secretary Thomas Cromwell, year circa 1535

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 3, page 50, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846


Letters of royal and illustrious ladies of Great Britain, volume 5, page 185, Mary Anne Everett-Green, 1846


The letter:

Pleaseth hit your Mastership to call to yor remembrance that Doctor Gwent enformed you yesternyght, that the Quenes Grace hath moved the Kynges Majeste for me, and hath offered his Highnes too thousand marks in recompence of that Howse of Catisby, and hath as yet no perfet answere. Yff hit mey lyke you nowe in my grett sorowe and pensyvenes to be so good Master to me as to opteyne that the Kynges Grace do graunte that the Howse may stonde and geyte me yeres of payment for the ij Mił. marks, you shall have a C.mks of me to by you a geldyng; and my prayers duryng mye lyff, and all my systers duryng their lyves. I trust you have not forgoten the report that the Com̃yssioners dyd sende vnto you of me and my systers. Master Only saith that he hath a graunt of the Howse. But my very trust is in God, and you to help forward that the Quenes Grace mey opteyne her request that hit may stonde. And this I beseche All myghty God sende you ever such comforth at your nede, as it was to my hart yester nyght when Doctor Gwent ded send me worde that you wold move the Kyngs Grace for me this mornyng ayen.
Yor most bounden of all creatures
JOYCE, late Priores of Catesby.

To the ryght honorable and my most
especiall good mastr, Mr Secretary.

With modernised spelling (aided by source 2):

Pleaseth it Your Mastership to call to your remembrance that Doctor Gwent informed you yesternight that the Queen's Grace hath moved the King's Majesty for me, and hath offered His Highness two thousand marks in recompense of that house of Catesby, and hath as yet no perfect answer. If it may like you now in my great sorrow and pensiveness to be so good Master to me as to obtain that the King's Grace do grant that the house may stand, and get me years of payment for the two thousand marks, you shall have a hundred marks of me to buy you a gelding; and my prayers during my life, and all my sisters during their lives. I trust you have not forgotten the report that the Commissioners did send unto you of me and my sisters. Master Onely saith that he hath a grant of the house; but my very trust is in God, and you, to help forward that the Queen's Grace may obtain her request that it may stand. And this I beseech Almighty God send you ever such comfort at your need, as it was to my heart yesternight when Doctor Gwent did send me word that you would move the King's Grace for me this morning again.
Your most bounden of all creatures
JOYCE, late Prioress of Catesby.

To the right honourable and my most
especial good master, Mr. Secretary.

Note: yesternight = last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment