Sunday, February 20, 2022

Lady Margaret Douglas's letter to Lord Thomas Cromwell, year 1536

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 3, page 136, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846


Letters of royal and illustrious ladies of Great Britain, volume 5, page 292, Mary Anne Everett-Green, 1846


The letter:

MY LORD,
What cawse hawe I to gyve you thanks, and how moche bownd am I vnto you, that be your menys hath gotten me, as I trust, the Kyngs Grace ys ffaver agene, and besydes that that yt plesyt you to wryt, and to gyve me knowleg wherin I myght have hes Graceys desplesuer agen, wych I pray owr Lord sooner to send me deth then that; and I assure you, my Lord, I wyll never do that thyng wyllyngly that shuld offend hes Grace. And my Lord, wher as yt ys informyd you that I do charge the howse with agreter nomber then ys conuenyent, I assuer you I have but ij. mo then I had in the Court, wych in ded wer my Lord Thomas sarvands: and the cavse that I tok them for, was ffor the poverty that I saw them in, and ffor no cause els. Bvt seyng, my Lord, that yt ys your plesuer that I shall kepe non that ded be long vnto my Lord Thomas, I wyll put them fro me. And I be seche you not to thynk that eny fancy doth remayn in me towchyng hym; but that all my study and car ys how to plese the Kyngs Grace and to contynv in hys ffaver. And my Lord, wher yt ys your plesuer that I shall kepe but a ffew here with me, I trust ye wyll think that I can hawe no fewer than I hawe: ffor I hawe but a gentyllman and a grom that keps my aparell, and a nother that keps my chamber, and a chaplean that was with me always in the Court. Now my Lord, I be seche you that I may know your plesur yff you wold that I shuld kep any ffewer. Howbed, my Lord, my sarvents hath put the howse to small charg, for they hawe nothyng but the reverssyon of my bowrd; nor do I call ffor nothyng but that that ys gyven me; howbed I am very well intreted. And my Lord, as for resort, I promes you I hawe non, except yt be gentylwemen that comes to se me, nor never had sens I cam hether; ffor yff eny resort of men had com yt shold nother abecum̃ me to a sen them, nor yet to haue kept them company, beyng a mayd as I am. Now my Lord, I besech you to be so good as to get my power ssarvends ther wagys; and thys I pray owr Lord to preserve you both solle and body.
by her that has her trust in you,
MARGRET DOWGLAS.

With modernised spelling (with aid from source 2):

MY LORD,
What cause have I to give you thanks, and how much bound am I unto you, that by your means hath gotten me, as I trust, the King's Grace's favour again, and besides that, that it pleaseth you to write and to give me knowledge wherein I might have His Grace's displeasure again, which I pray our Lord sooner to send me death than that; and I assure you, my Lord, I will never do that thing willingly that should offend His Grace. And, my Lord, whereas it is informed you that I do charge the house with a greater number than is convenient, I assure you I have but two more than I had in the court, which, indeed, were my lord Thomas' servants; and the cause that I took them for was for the poverty that I saw them in, and for no cause else. But seeing, my Lord, that it is your pleasure that I shall keep none that did belong unto my lord Thomas, I will put them from me. And I beseech you not to think that any fancy doth remain in me touching him, but that all my study and care is how to please the King's Grace and to continue in his favour. And, my Lord, wher it is your pleasure that I shall keep but a few here with me, I trust ye will think that I can have no fewer than I have, for I have but a gentleman and a groom that keeps my apparel, and another that keeps my chamber, and a chaplain that was with me always in the court. Now, my Lord, I beseech you that I may know your pleasure if you would that I should keep any fewer; howbeit, my Lord, my servants hath put the house to small charge, for they have nothing but the reversion of my board, nor do I call for nothing but that that is given me, howbeit I am very well entreated. And, my Lord, as for resort, I promise you I have none, except it be gentlewomen that comes to see me, nor never had since I came hither; for if any resort of men had come, it should neither have become me to have seen them, nor yet to have kept them company, being a maid as I am. Now, my Lord, I beseech you to be so good as to get my poor servants ther wages; and thus I pray our Lord to preserve you both soul and body.
by her that has her trust in you,
MARGARET DOUGLAS.

Notes: howbeit = although.

resort = company.

No comments:

Post a Comment