Thursday, January 13, 2022

Queen Anne's letter to Sir George Rooke, written in the early 1700s

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 4, page 330, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846



Above: Queen Anne, painted by Charles Jervas after Sir Godfrey Kneller.


Above: Sir George Rooke, painted by Michael Dahl.

The letter:

I am so concern'd for the great affliction which hath befallen [you], that I can't forbear letting you know the compassion I have for you; I think you are of so great importance to my service, that if any assurance of my favour can help to support you under it, you may depend upon me.
ANNE R.

With modernised spelling:

I am so concerned for the great affliction which hath befallen [you] that I can't forbear letting you know the compassion I have for you; I think you are of so great importance to my service that if any assurance of my favour can help to support you under it, you may depend upon me.
ANNE R.

No comments:

Post a Comment