Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Princess Alice of the United Kingdom, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine's letter to her mother Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland, dated July 24, 1862

Source:

Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse, Princess of Great Britain and Ireland: Biographical Sketch and Letters, published by G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1884



Above: Princess Alice of the United Kingdom, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine, photographed by Camille Silvy.


Above: Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland, photo colourised by Ghémar Frères.

The letter:

July 24th.
... You tell me to speak to you of my happiness — our happiness. You will understand the feeling which made me silent towards you, my own dear bereaved Mother, on that point; but you are unselfish and loving and can enter into my happiness, though I could never have been the first to tell you how intense it is, when it must draw the painful contrast between your past and present existence. If I say I love my dear husband, that is scarcely enough — it is a love and esteem which increases daily, hourly; which he also shows to me by such consideration, such tender loving ways. What was life before to what it has become now? There is such blessed peace being at his side, being his wife; there is such a feeling of security; and we two have a world of our own when we are together, which nothing can touch or intrude upon. My lot is indeed a blessed one; and yet what have I done to deserve that warm, ardent love, which my darling Louis ever shows me? I admire his good and noble heart more than I can say. How he loves me, you know, and he will be a good son to you. He reads to me every day out of "Westward Ho," which I think very beautiful and interesting.

This morning I breakfasted alone, as he went out with his regiment. I always feel quite impatient until I hear his step coming up-stairs, and see his dear face when he returns.

Yesterday, and the previous night, I thought of you constantly, and of our last journey to dear Balmoral. Sad, painful though it was, I liked so much being with you, trying to bear some of your load of sorrow with you. From here I share all as if I were really by your side; and I think so many fervent prayers cannot be offered to a merciful loving God without His sending alleviation and comfort.

Please remember me to Grant, Brown, and all of them at home in dear Scotland, and tell them how much I wish, and Louis also, that we were there, changed though every thing is.

German translation (my own):

24. Juli.
... Du sagst mir, ich soll Dir von meinem Glück sprechen — unserem Glück. Du wirst das Gefühl verstehen, das mich Dir, meine liebe, trauernde Mutter, in diesem Punkt zum Schweigen brachte; aber Du bist selbstlos und liebevoll und kannst in mein Glück eingehen, obwohl ich Dir nie hätte sagen können, wie intensiv es ist, wenn es den schmerzlichen Gegensatz zwischen Deinem vergangenen und gegenwärtigen Sein ziehen muss. Wenn ich sage, ich liebe meinen lieben Mann, so ist das kaum genug — es ist eine Liebe und Wertschätzung, die täglich, stündlich wächst; die er mir auch durch solche Rücksichtnahme, so zärtliche Liebesweise zeigt. Was war das Leben früher, was es heute geworden ist? Da ist solch ein gesegneter Frieden an seiner Seite, da ich seine Frau bin; es gibt ein solches Gefühl der Sicherheit; und wenn wir zusammen sind, haben wir beide eine eigene Welt, die nichts berühren oder in eindringen können. Mein Schicksal ist in der Tat ein gesegnetes; und doch, was habe ich getan, um diese warme, innige Liebe zu verdienen, die mir mein lieber Ludwig immer zeigt? Ich bewundere sein gutes und edles Herz mehr, als ich sagen kann. Du weißt wohl, wie sehr er mich liebt, und er wird Dir ein guter Sohn sein. Er liest mir jeden Tag aus "Westward Ho" vor, das ich sehr schön und interessant finde.

Heute morgen habe ich alleine gefrühstückt, als er mit seinem Regiment ausging. Ich bin immer ziemlich ungeduldig, bis ich seinen Schritt nach oben höre und sein liebes Gesicht sehe, wenn er zurückkommt.

Gestern und in der Nacht zuvor dachte ich ständig an Dich und an unsere letzte Reise zum lieben Balmoral. So traurig es auch war, so schmerzlich es auch war, ich war so gerne bei Dir und versuchte, etwas von Deinem Kummer mit Dir zu tragen. Von hier aus teile ich alles, als wäre ich wirklich an Deiner Seite; und ich denke, so viele inbrünstige Gebete können einem barmherzigen, liebenden Gott nicht dargebracht werden, ohne dass Er sende Linderung und Trost.

Bitte erinnern Du Dich mich an Grant, Brown und alle zu Hause im lieben Schottland, und sage Du ihnen, wie sehr ich mir wünsche, und Ludwig auch, dass wir dort wären, obwohl alles verändert ist.

No comments:

Post a Comment