Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Anne of Denmark's letter to her husband King James VI of Scotland and I of England, undated

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 3, page 97, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Anne of Denmark, painted by John de Critz the Elder.


Above: King James VI and I, painted by John de Critz the Elder.

The letter:

SIR
As nothing is more wellcom to me then your Letters (for which I thank yow) so can they bring me no better tidings then of your good health (of me much desired) for I cease not to praye for the encrease and continuance of your good both of mynde and bodie, and thereof rest assured. So kissing your handes I remaine she that will ever love
Yow best
ANNE R.

With modernised spelling:

SIR,
As nothing is more welcome to me than your letters (for which I thank you), so can they bring me no better tidings than of your good health (of me much desired); for I cease not to pray for the increase and continuance of your good both of mind and body, and thereof rest assured. So, kissing your hands, I remain she that will ever love
You best,
ANNE R.

Danish translation (my own):

Herre,
Da intet er mere kærkomment for mig end Deres breve (som jeg takker Dem for), så kan de ikke bringe mig en bedre tidende end om Deres gode helbred (meget ønsket af mig); thi jeg holder ikke op med at bede om forøgelsen og fortsættelsen af Deres gode helbred både hos sindet og kroppen, og vær dog forsikret deraf. Så, kyssende Deres hænder, er jeg den, der altid vil elske Dem bedst,
Anne, Dronningen.

No comments:

Post a Comment