Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Princess Elizabeth Stuart's letter to her brother Prince Henry Stuart, year circa 1605

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 3, page 89, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Elizabeth Stuart, princess of England and future queen of Bohemia, painted by Robert Peake the Elder.


Above: Henry, Prince of Wales, painted by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger.

The letter:

My most worthy and dearest Brother: I geve you a million of thankes for the servant you sent mee, but more for your kinde Letter, takyng few thinges so joyfully as to hear of your health, and though I cannot requite you with so pleasant a token, yet are these few lines a testymony of the affection of her whome you shall ever constantly finde
Yor most loving sister
ELIZABETH.

To my good brother
the Prince.

With modernised spelling:

My most worthy and dearest Brother: I give you a million of thanks for the servant you sent me, but more for your kind letter, taking few things so joyfully as to hear of your health, and though I cannot requite you with so pleasant a token, yet are these few lines a testimony of the affection of her whom you shall ever constantly find
Your most loving sister
ELIZABETH.

To my good brother
the Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment