Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Anne of Denmark's letter to her husband King James VI of Scotland and I of England's favourite and possible lover Sir George Villiers, undated

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 3, page 100, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Anne of Denmark, painted by Paul van Somer I.


Above: Sir George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham, painted by Michiel J. van Miereveld.

The letter:

MY KIND DOG
Your Letter hath bin acceptable to me; I rest alreadie assured of your carefulnesse. Yow maye tell your Maister that the King of Dennemarke hath sent me tuelf faire mares, and as the bringer of them assures me, all great with foles, which I intend to put into Byfield Parke, where being the other daye a hunting I could find but verie few deare, but greate store of other cattle as I shall tell your Maister my self when I see him. I hope to meete you all at Woodstock at the time appointed, till when I wish you all happines and contentment.
ANNA R.

I thank yow for your paines taken in remembring the King for the pailing of me parke. I will doe you anie service I can.
To
Sir George Villiers.

With modernised spelling:

MY KIND DOG,
Your letter hath been acceptable to me; I rest already assured of your carefulness. You may tell your Master that the King of Denmark hath sent me twelve fair mares, and as the bringer of them assures me, all great with foals, which I intend to put into Byfield Park, where being the other day a-hunting I could find but very few deer, but great store of other cattle as I shall tell your Master myself when I see him. I hope to meet you all at Woodstock at the time appointed, till when I wish you all happiness and contentment.
ANNA R.

I thank you for your pains taken in remembering the King for the pailing of my park. I will do you any service I can.
To
Sir George Villiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment