Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Countess Lettice Knollys of Essex's letter to Secretary Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury to join the Lords of the Council in petitioning Queen Elizabeth I not to sign the warrant for her son Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex's execution, dated February 1601

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 3, page 55, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Lettice Knollys, Countess of Essex, painted by George Gower.


Above: Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury, painted by unknown artist after John de Critz the Elder.


Above: Queen Elizabeth I of England, artist unknown.


Above: Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, painted by a member of the studio of Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger.

The letter:

SIR,
Although the awnswere I receved from you two daies since gave mee small incouragement to flatter my self that anie importunity I could make should bee able to appease the scandall you had conceaved to bee geven you by my unfortunat husband: yet hade it not pleased God to powre uppon mee one affliction after an other, and to add to the immesurable sorrowes of my harte so violent a sicknes as I am not able of my self to stur out of my bed, I had presented unto your vew the image of the importunate Widow mentioned in the Scriptur, and had never ceased to pester you with my complaines till you had afforded me some assurance that, whatsoever respects might dehorte you from so much as wishinge my husband's good, yet that an afflicted and wofull lady should not wholly loose her labor, or returne desperate of such comforts at the last yeare you so honorably ministred unto mee in a great affliction though differinge from this in qualitie. As I receaved then such noble curtesies from you as must never bee forgotten; so bee perswaded, I beseech you, that whatsoever new favor you shall now be pleased to add to the old, shall so binde mee to reverence of your vertues as I will resolve to recken my self a bankcrout till I have yeelddid some demonstrative testimonie of the best thankfullnes that the honestest harte can expresse for the worthest benefitt. Honorable Sir, I know there bee private causes to discourage mee from movinge you heerin: yet, seeinge the highest providence hath placed you in a callinge most propper to bee a mene for my comforte, and that former experiance hath tought me that you are rather inclyned to doe good then to looke allway to private interest, I beseech you, even for your vertues sake, performe this noble office for mee as to joyne with the rest of your LL.ps of the Councell in presentinge my humblest supplicacion to her Majestie. Bere Sir, I pray you, with theise tedious blotts from her feeble hand and sad sick harte that is stored with much thankfullnes and infinite best wishes unto you, who will ever rest
Your most beeholdinge poore
distressed frend
FRA: ESSEX.

And Mr Secretary even as you desire of God that your owne sonne never bee made orphane by the untimely or unnaturall death of his deere father, vouchsafe a relentinge to the not urginge if you may not to the hindringe of that fatell warrant for Execution, which if it bee once signed I shall never wish to breath one howre after.
To the right honorable
Mr. Secretary Cecil.

With modernised spelling:

SIR,
Although the answer I received from you two days since gave me small encouragement to flatter myself that any importunity I could make should be able to appease the scandal you had conceived to be given you by my unfortunate husband: yet had it not pleased God to pour upon me one affliction after another, and to add to the immeasurable sorrows of my heart so violent a sickness as I am not able of myself to stir out of my bed, I had presented unto your view the image of the importunate widow mentioned in the Scripture, and had never ceased to pester you with my complain[t]s till you had afforded me some assurance that, whatsoever respects might dehort you from so much as wishing my husband's good, yet that an afflicted and woeful lady should not wholly lose her labour, or return desperate of such comforts at the last year you so honourably ministered unto me in a great affliction, though differing from this in quality. As I received then such noble courtesies from you as must never be forgotten; so be persuaded, I beseech you, that whatsoever new favour you shall now be pleased to add to the old, shall so bind me to reverence of your virtues as I will resolve to reckon myself a bankrupt till I have yielded some demonstrative testimony of the best thankfulness that the honestest heart can express for the worthiest benefit. Honourable Sir, I know there be private causes to discourage me from moving you herein: yet, seeing the highest Providence hath placed you in a calling most proper to be a mean[s] for my comfort, and that former experience hath taught me that you are rather inclined to do good then to look always to private interest, I beseech you, even for your virtue's sake, perform this noble office for me as to join with the rest of your LL.ps (?) of the Council in presenting my humblest supplication to Her Majesty. Bear, Sir, I pray you, with these tedious blots from her feeble hand and sad, sick heart that is stored with much thankfulness and infinite best wishes unto you, who will ever rest
Your most beholding, poor,
distressed friend
FRA: ESSEX.

And Mr. Secretary, even as you desire of God that your own son never be made orphan by the untimely or unnatural death of his dear father, vouchsafe a relenting to the not urging, if you may not to the hindering of that fatal warrant for execution, which if it be once signed I shall never wish to breathe one hour after.
To the right honourable
Mr. Secretary Cecil.

Notes: dehort = to dissuade.

office = service.

rest = to remain.

beholding = beholden, obligated.

No comments:

Post a Comment