Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Princess Elizabeth Stuart's letter to her brother Prince Henry Stuart, year 1605

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 3, page 90, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Elizabeth Stuart, princess of England and future queen of Bohemia, painted by Robert Peake the Elder.


Above: Henry, Prince of Wales, painted by Robert Peake the Elder.

The letter:

WORTHY PRINCE AND MY DEAREST BROTHER:
I received your most welcom Letter and kynd token by M.r Hopkins, highly esteeming them as delightfull memorialls of your brotherly love. In which assuredly (whatsoever ells may fayle) I will ever endevor to equall you, esteeming that time happiest when I enjoyed your company, and desiring nothing more than the fruition of it again: that as nature hath made us neerest in our love together, so accident might not separate us from living together. Neither do I account yt the leste part of my present comfort, that though I am deprived of your happy presence, yet I can make these lines deliver this true message, that I will ever bee during my lyfe
Your most kinde
and loving syster
ELIZABETH.

To my most dear
brother the Prince.

With modernised spelling:

WORTHY PRINCE AND MY DEAREST BROTHER:
I received your most welcome letter and kind token by Mr. Hopkins, highly esteeming them as delightful memorials of your brotherly love. In which assuredly (whatsoever else may fail) I will ever endeavour to equal you, esteeming that time happiest when I enjoyed your company, and desiring nothing more than the fruition of it again: that as nature hath made us nearest in our love together, so accident might not separate us from living together. Neither do I account it the least part of my present comfort, that though I am deprived of your happy presence, yet I can make these lines deliver this true message, that I will ever be during my life
Your most kind
and loving sister
ELIZABETH.

To my most dear
brother the Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment