Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Anne Pecke's letter to her brother Sir Julius Caesar, dated October 13, 1629

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 4, page 201, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846


The letter:

RIGHT HONNORABLE,
And my moste louing deare Brother, I beseech you be not angry with me, but help me now, for I ame much greued and trowbled in my mind. I did giue my bonnd for one of my sonnes, which is now with the Lorde; the dett was twenty pound, but I haue, I thanke God, so much prevalled with Mistres Downes, to whom the monny is dow, that shee is contynted to take eyght pound and delyver me my bonnd, and if it maye pleas your Honnor to paye this eyght pound I shallbe euer bound to you, as alwayes I haue binn, to praye contynually to God for you and yours. I doo assure you vppon my fayth and creadet I neuer ded the lick in my life, nor neuer will agayne; sweete Brother, now help me, and I vowe to God I will neuer trooble you to pay eny dette for me so long as I leve agayne, so resting vppon your loue and fauour, I caese; with my prayrs to God for your Honnor, and your vertues ladye, and all yours.
Your Honnor's pour sister,
ANNE PECKE.

This messinger is my land lord
wher i ly, Mr. Stryckher.

To the right honn:able Sir Julys Cæsar,
Master of the Roulles.

With modernised spelling:

RIGHT HONOURABLE,
And my most loving dear brother, I beseech you be not angry with me, but help me now, for I am much grieved and troubled in my mind. I did give my bond for one of my sons, which is now with the Lord; the debt was twenty pound, but I have, I thank God, so much prevailed with Mistress Downes, to whom the money is due, that she is contented to take eight pound and deliver me my bond, and if it may please Your Honour to pay this eight pound I shall be ever bound to you, as always I have been, to pray continually to God for you and yours. I do assure you upon my faith and credit I never did the like in my life, nor never will again; sweet brother, now help me, and I vow to God I will never trouble you to pay any debt for me so long as I live again, so resting upon your love and favour, I cease; with my prayers to God for Your Honour, and Your Virtue's lady, and all yours.
Your Honour's poor sister,
ANNE PECKE.

This messenger is my landlord
wher I lie, Mr. Strycker.

To the right honourable Sir Julius Caesar,
Master of the Rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment