Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Frances Cooke's letter to her brother-in-law William Cecil, 1st Lord Burghley complaining about Lady Frances Cheke taking precedence over her at court despite her being the younger daughter of a viscount, dated February 3, 1591

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 4, page 95, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846


The letter:

Righte honourable my very good Lorde, vnderstandinge that your Lordshipe hathe nowe the office of Lo. Marshall of Englande, I am moste humbly to beseche your Lo. that as you are honourabell your selfe, so it may please your Lo. to vouchsaffe your honourabell fauoure towardes my poore brother, and the howse we are come of, whiche as your Lo. best knowes, was once not lest honourabell, thought by misfortune nowe brought lowe, wherof it semeth by Lady Cheke, to whome I neuer gaue cause of just offence, takethe great aduantage, for she dothe not only offer me all the wronge and disgrace that she can in Courte, in takinge place a fore me, wher it becometh not me in modesty to striue for it, but she oppenly publisheth to euery body that I haue no place at all. Truly, my Lorde, I shoulde thinke my fortune hard and my deserts ill, if my hape fall out to be put doune by a woman of no greater byrthe, then I take my La. Cheke to be. I hope her Magesty and your Lordeshipe will make some deference betwixt our too byrthes, and I trust neuer hauinge offended her Magesty, that I shall receaue that gracious fauoure from her, as that I may stille posses the place I did in my Lorde my fathers life time, and euer scence his death, till of late, whiche place I touke was as a younger Vicounts daughter; wherin most humbly entreatinge your Lo. honourabell fauoure, withe my moste humbell dewty I take my leaue; hartely desiringe Allmighty God to geue your Lo. longe life and mutche happines. From my poore hous, nere Charing Crose, the iij. of February, 1591.
Your Lordshipes most humbell poore Sister in lawe,
FRANCES COOKE.

To the righte honourabull my especiall good Lorde, the Lorde H. Tresurer of Englande, geve this.

With modernised spelling:

Right honourable my very good Lord, understanding that Your Lordship hath now the office of Lord Marshal of England, I am most humbly to beseech Your Lordship that as you are honourable your self, so it may please Your Lordship to vouchsafe your honourable favour towards my poor brother, and the house we are come of, which as Your Lordship best knows, was once not less honourable, though by misfortune now brought low, whereof it seemeth by Lady Cheke, to whom I never gave cause of just offence, taketh great advantage, for she doth not only offer me all the wrong and disgrace that she can in Court, in taking place afore me, where it becometh not me in modesty to strive for it, but she openly publisheth to everybody that I have no place at all. Truly, my Lord, I should think my fortune hard and my desserts ill, if my hap fall out to be put down by a woman of no greater birth than I take my Lady Cheke to be. I hope Her Majesty and Your Lordship will make some deference betwixt our two births, and I trust never having offended Her Majesty, that I shall receive that gracious favour from her, as that I may still possess the place I did in my Lord my father's lifetime, and ever since his death, till of late, which place I took was as a younger Viscount's daughter; wherein most humbly entreating Your Lordship's honourable favour, with my most humble duty I take my leave; heartily desiring Almighty God to give Your Lordship long life and much happiness. From my poor house, near Charing Cross, the III. of February, 1591.
Your Lordship's most humble poor sister-in-law,
FRANCES COOKE.

To the right honourable my especial good Lord, the Lord H. Treasurer of England, give this.

No comments:

Post a Comment