Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Elizabeth Stuart, Princess Palatine's letter to Sir Julius Caesar, dated August 20, 1613

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 4, page 180, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846



Above: Elizabeth Stuart, princess of England, future queen consort of Bohemia and electress of the Palatinate, painted by Michiel Jansz. van Mierevelt.

The letter:

Good Sir Julius Ceaser, if you bee remembred, I did send you a note signed with my owne hand the 10th of this present moneth, containinge the number and prises of rings which, as tokens of my affection, I have bestowed vppon my frends. Now doe I send you an other bill which shall shewe you the number and prices of rings distributed amongst those who takinge theare leave did require som token, which I could not denie, and havinge nothinge to confer, was constrained to make Jacob Hardret my Jeweller furnish me with these rings, which I do acknowledg by my signe apposed to this last bill, to have receaved and given awaie. You doe know that it is fitting for my quallitie at the time of my partinge from my naturall countrie to leave som small remembrance of me amongst my affectionate frends, but that any thinge employed for my vse should not rest vnpaied doeth not well becom my quallitie, and thearfore beinge fullie perswaded of your affection towards mee, in such sort that you will never suffer my name to come in question for anie debt contracted by me, I do earnestlie intreate you to cause see these billes payed and discharged so sone as may bee for my respect, because all these tokens have bin given with mine owne hand, I am assured his Ma:tie shall allow you in soe doinge. This messenger expecteth yor answere, which I pray you lett be sent me with all expedition, and in recompence you shall ever find me redie to prove
Yor good frend,
ELIZABETH.
From Canterburey,
the 20th of August, 1613.

To her honourable frend, Sr Julius Cesar, knt, Chancellor of the Exchequer.

With modernised spelling:

Good Sir Julius Caesar, if you be remembered, I did send you a note signed with my own hand the 10th of this present month, containing the number and prices of rings which, as tokens of my affection, I have bestowed upon my friends. Now do I send you another bill which shall shew you the number and prices of rings distributed amongst those who taking their leave did require some token, which I could not deny, and having nothing to confer, was constrained to make Jacob Hardret my Jeweller furnish me with these rings, which I do acknowledge by my sign apposed to this last bill, to have received and given away. You do know that it is fitting for my quality at the time of my parting from my natural country to leave some small remembrance of me amongst my affectionate friends, but that anything employed for my use should not rest unpaid doth not well become my quality and therefore being fully persuaded of your affection towards me, in such sort that you will never suffer my name to come in question for any debt contracted by me, I do earnestly entreat you to cause see these bills paid and discharged so soon as may be for my respect, because all these tokens have been given with mine own hand, I am assured His Majesty shall allow you in so doing. This messenger expecteth your answer, which I pray you let be sent me with all expedition, and in recompence you shall ever find me ready to prove
Your good friend,
ELIZABETH.
From Canterbury,
the 20th of August, 1613.

To her honourable friend, Sir Julius Caesar, knight, Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Note: shew = to show.

sort = way, manner.

suffer = to allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment