Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Elizabeth Stuart, Princess Palatine's letter to Sir Julius Caesar, dated January 6, 1615

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 3, volume 4, page 182, edited by Henry Ellis, 1846



Above: Elizabeth Stuart, princess of England, queen consort of Bohemia and electress of the Palatinate, painted by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger.

The letter:

Good Sir Julius Cæsar, I have a requeast vnto you in the behalfe of one of my seruants, her name is Sandill, whome I employ about my litle sonne, and have found her cairfull and dilligent attendance such as I must acknowledge. She hath a yong sonne in England, to whom by the death of his grandfather is fallen some inheritance, which by reason of his yong yeares, and his mothers absence, is lyke to be impaired by his vnkynd vncles, who also may most probably be thought to shew a Will for their owne aduantage, and not that which was last made by the deceased. There are many reasons wherby this may seruants sonne semeth to be ill vsed, and his grandfather, to whom he is heire, dying so wealthy as I vnderstand, my thinke there is no reason but he should have better then this Will is shewed doeth afford him. I do therefore most earnestly entreat you for my sake that if the bussines doeth come before you, as you shall be informed therein by them who shal come vnto you, that this lad may have his right, and what fauour as you can afford. I ame so fully persuaded of your affection and am so ressented the effects of it, that I do vndoubtedly assure my selfe of your fauourable assistance herein. I shal see in the good successe of this busines your desyre to second my suite, and my seruants good, wherin you shal oblige me infinitly, and shal acknowledge it amonst your other courtesies, amonst which I giue you most kynd thanks for your caire and good meanes as true affection to testifie my gratitude, as by al occasions you shal knowe that I am and shal constantly remaine
Your most affectionate frend,
ELIZABETH.

To Sir Julius Cæsar.

With modernised spelling:

Good Sir Julius Caesar, I have a request unto you in the behalf of one of my servants, her name is Sandill, whom I employ about my little son, and have found her careful and diligent attendance such as I must acknowledge. She hath a young son in England, to whom by the death of his grandfather is fallen some inheritance, which by reason of his young years, and his mother's absence, is like to be impaired by his unkind uncles, who also may most probably be thought to shew a will for their own advantage, and not that which was last made by the deceased. There are many reasons whereby this my servant's son seemeth to be ill-used, and his grandfather, to whom he is heir, dying so wealthy as I understand, methinks there is no reason but he should have better than this will is shewed doth afford him. I do therefore most earnestly entreat you for my sake that if the business doth come before you, as you shall be informed therein by them who shall come unto you, that this lad may have his right, and what favour as you can afford. I am so fully persuaded of your affection and am so resented the effects of it, that I do undoubtedly assure myself of your favourable assistance herein. I shall see in the good success of this business your desire to second my suite, and my servant's good, wherein you shall oblige me infinitely, and shall acknowledge it amongst your other courtesies, amongst which I give you most kind thanks for your care and good means as true affection to testify my gratitude, as by all occasions you shall know that I am and shall constantly remain
Your most affectionate friend
ELIZABETH.

To Sir Julius Caesar.

Notes: shew = to show.

resent = to feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment