Monday, October 18, 2021

Queen Elizabeth I of England's letter to her cousin King James VI of Scotland disavowing her having caused the execution of his mother Mary, Queen of Scots, dated February 14, 1586

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 3, page 22, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Queen Elizabeth I of England, artist unknown.


Above: King James VI of Scotland, painted by either Adrian Vanson or Arnold Bronckorst.


Above: Mary, Queen of Scots, artist unknown.

The letter:

My deare Brother, I would you knewe (though not felt) the extreme dolor that overwhelms my mind, for that miserable accident which (far contrary to my meaninge) hath befalen. I have now sent this kinsman of mine whom ere now yt hath pleased yow to favor, to instruct yow trewly of that which ys to yerksom for my penne to tell yow. I beseche yow that as God and many moe knowe, how innocent I am in this case: so you will believe me, that yf I had bid ought I owld have bid by yt. I am not so bace minded that feare of any livinge creature or prince should make me afrayde to do that were just, or don to denye the same. I am not of so base a linage, nor cary so vile a minde. But, as not to disguise, fits not a Kinge, so will I never dissemble my actions, but cawse them shewe even as I ment them. Thus assuringe yourself of me, that as I knowe this was deserved, yet yf I had ment yt I would never laye yt on others shoulders; no more will I not damnifie my selfe, that thought yt not.

The circumstance yt may please yow to have of this bearer. And for your part, thincke yow have not in the World a more lovinge kinswoman, nor a more deare frend then my selfe; nor any that will watch more carefully to preserve yow and your estate. And who shall otherwise perswade you, judge them more partiall to others then yow. And thus in hast I leave to troble yow: besechinge God to send yow a longe Reign. The 14th of Feb. 1586.
Your most assured lovinge sister
and cosin
ELIZAB. R.

With modernised spelling:

My dear Brother, I would you knew (though not felt) the extreme dolour that overwhelms my mind, for that miserable accident which (far contrary to my meaning) hath befallen. I have now sent this kinsman of mine whom ere now it hath pleased you to favour, to instruct you truly of that which is too irksome for my pen to tell you. I beseech you that as God and many more know, how innocent I am in this case: so you will believe me, that if I had bid ought I would have bid by it. I am not so base-minded that fear of any living creature or prince should make me afraid to do that were just, or done to deny the same. I am not of so base a lineage, nor carry so vile a mind. But, as not to disguise fits not a King, so will I never dissemble my actions, but cause them shew even as I meant them. Thus assuring yourself of me, that as I know this was deserved, yet if I had meant it I would never lay it on others' shoulders; no more will I not damnify myself, that thought it not.

The circumstance it may please you to have of this bearer. And for your part, think you have not in the world a more loving kinswoman, nor a more dear friend than myself; nor any that will watch more carefully to preserve you and your estate. And who shall otherwise persuade you, judge them more partial to others than you. And thus in haste I leave to trouble you: beseeching God to send you a long reign. The 14th of February 1586.
Your most assured loving sister
and cousin
ELIZABETH R.

Notes: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

dolour = pain.

bid = directed.

would have bid by it = would have abided by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment