Monday, October 18, 2021

Queen Elizabeth I of England's letter to her cousin King James VI of Scotland, the son of Mary, Queen of Scots, dated August 7, 1583

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 2, page 294, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Queen Elizabeth I of England, artist unknown.


Above: King James VI of Scotland, painted by either Adrian Vanson or Arnold Bronckorst.

The letter:

Amonge your manie studies my deare Brother and Coson, I would Iscocrates noble lesson weare not forgotten, that wills the Emperor his suvorain to make his words of more accompt then other men theare othes, as metest enseignes to showe the truest bage of a Princes armes. It moveth me much to move you, whan I behold how diversely sondrie wicked pathes, and, like all evill illusions, wrapped under the cloke of your best safety, endanger your state and best good. How maie yt be that yow can suppose an honorabele awneswere maie be made me when all your doings gainesaie your former vowes. You deale not with one whose experience can take drosse for good paiments, nor one that esily will be beguiled. No, No, I mind to sett to schoole your craftiest counsiler. I am sorie to se you bent to wrong youre selfe in thinking to wronge others; yea thos which if thay had not even than taken opertunitie to lett a ruin that was newly begon, that plott would have perilled you more than a thowsand of such mene lives be worth, that perswade you to vouche such deades to deserve a sawles pardon. Why doe you forgett what you write to myselfe with your owne hand, shewing howe dangerous a course the Duke was entred in, thougth yow excused him sellf to thinke noe harm therin, and yet thay that with your safetie preserved yow from it, yow must seme to give them reproche of gilty folke. I hope you more esteme your honor than to give yt such a staine, since you have protested so often to have taken these Lordes for your most affectionate subjects, and to have done all for your best. To conclude, I besech you passe no further in this cause till you receve an expres messinger, a trusty servant of mine, by whome you shall see plainley yow may receive honor and contentment with more suretie to your rest and state, than all thes dissembling counselors will or can bringe yowe. As knoweth the Lord to whose most safe keping I doe committ yow, with my many commendations to your person.
7 August 1583.

With modernised spelling:

Among your many studies, my dear Brother and Cousin, I would Socrates' noble lesson were not forgotten, that wills the Emperor his sovereign to make his words of more account than other men their oaths, as meetest enseignés to show the truest bag of a prince's arms. It moveth me much to move you, when I behold how diversely sundry wicked paths, and, like all evil illusions, wrapped under the cloak of your best safety, endanger your state and best good. How may it be that you can suppose an honourable answer may be made me when all your doings gainsay your former vows. You deal not with one whose experience can take dross for good payments, nor one that easily will be beguiled. No, no, I mind to set to school your craftiest counsillor. I am sorry to see you bent to wrong yourself in thinking to wrong others; yea those which if they had not even than taken opportunity to let a ruin that was newly begun, that plot would have periled you more than a thousand of such mean lives be worth, that persuade you to vouch such deeds to deserve a soul's pardon. Why do you forget what you write to myself with your own hand, shewing how dangerous a course the Duke was entered in, though you excused himself to think no harm therein, and yet they that with your safety preserved you from it, you must seem to give them reproach of guilty folk. I hope you more esteem your honour than to give it such a stain, since you have protested so often to have taken these Lords for your most affectionate subjects, and to have done all for your best. To conclude, I beseech you pass no further in this cause till you receive an express messenger, a trusty servant of mine, by whom you shall see plainly you may receive honour and contentment with more surety to your rest and state, than all these dissembling counsillors will or can bring you. As knoweth the Lord to whose most safe keeping I do commit you, with my many commendations to your person.
7 August 1583.

Notes: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

meetest = most suitable.

mean = lowly.

shew = to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment