Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Lady Anne Spencer (Churchill), Countess of Sunderland's letter to her mother Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, dated December 1709

Source:

Private correspondence of Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough: illustrative of the court and times of Queen Anne, volume 1, H. Colburn, London, 1838



Above: Anne Spencer (Churchill), Countess of Sunderland, artist unknown.


Above: Sarah Churchill, painted by Sir Godfrey Kneller.

Anne Spencer, Countess of Sunderland, née Lady Anne Churchill (born February 27, 1683, died April 15, 1716), was an English court official and noblewoman. She held the office of Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Anne from 1702 to 1712.

The letter:

December, 1709.
I did not thank my dear mama by the post for your two kind letters, because Mr. Hodges was to go to town. When I heard the report mama speaks of, of Mr. Masham's having something given him in the army, I did not think it wrong (as the world is made) for papa to humour the Queen in it; but for the other, I own I hoped it an impossible thing for you ever to be reconciled to such a creature, even if it could do good, but that is impossible; it would, may be, let her do the mischief underhand. I dare say nothing will ever be right, but the removing her; and if that can't be, I hope she will join with the Tories, and not with the Whigs, and then it won't be in their power to ruin all the world when there is a peace.

I should beg your pardon for saying so much out of my mind on your letters, since Lord Sunderland intends to write; but my dear mama's goodness has always given me encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment