Monday, June 28, 2021

Queen Margaret of Scotland's letter to her brother King Henry VIII, dated April 27, 1516

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 129, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Margaret Tudor, queen consort of Scotland, artist unknown.


Above: King Henry VIII, painted by Meynnart Wewyck.

The letter:

Derest broder as hartly as I can I recomend me onto you, and let you vyt that yesternyght I cam hyther, soo beyng confortted of you in my jornay in many and soondry wyses that, lovyng be to our Lorde God, I am in ryght good heal, and as joyous of my sayd Jornay towarde you as ony woman may be in commyng to her broder, as I have gret cause, and am moost desirous now to com to your presens and to have sight of your person, in whom next God, is myn oonly trust and confydens: advertissing you derest broder I have reseved thys day a Letter from my soons ambassadors, now at London, which Leter I send on to you heryinne closed, and have adressed on to them myn ansuer severally in twoe sondery lettres, copy wher of I all so sende on to you, that apon notice had of the same it may lyke you to comand whether of the said ye seme besst at your plessur shall be delyverd. And the Holy Trenyte have you my most derest broder in tuycion and governance. At Stony Stretford the xxvij. day of Apryll.
Zour loveng suster
MARGARET.

Unto my derest broder the
King's Grace.

Notes: wit = to know.

advertise = to warn.

No comments:

Post a Comment