Monday, June 28, 2021

Queen Margaret of Scotland's letter to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, dated September 1515

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 128, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Margaret Tudor, queen consort of Scotland, artist unknown.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, artist unknown.

The letter:

My lorde Cardinal I comand me hartly to zou, and I am glad to here that ze doo vell, and I have ressauet a letter from you and a nother from my lorde Dakers vher of I beleffe you know the effeyt. Ze vryte to me that sych parssons as he sent for my maters in to Scotland trust to be vell ansuered, and hath sent to me sysch vrytengs as thay sent to hym. But my lorde I am gladar of the tydengs that the Kyngs grace teld me of the Duk of Albane, that he vyl com hyther, vysche I besech God may be trw, but I dred it be not. My lord I thynke ryght longe vyhil I speke vyth you, for next the Kyngs grace my most trust is in you, and you may doo me moste good of any, and I pray you my lorde as soon as any body comes out of Scotland that you vyl send me vorde, for I thynke long tyl I here tydengs. No more: but God have zou in hys kypeng
Zour frend
MARGARET R.

No comments:

Post a Comment