Saturday, September 12, 2020

Mary Fane's letter to her husband Charles Fane, dated August 1714

Source:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mary_ffane_letter_birth_of_2nd_E_Stanhope.jpg


(photo courtesy of Rodoplh at Wikimedia Commons)

Mary Fane (born 1686, died 1762) was daughter of Hon. Alexander Stanhope, FRS. Her brother James Stanhope was the father of the boy just born. Where she says sister she means her sister-in-law, Lucy Pitt (1692–1723), at the time Mrs. Stanhope. Stanhope was ennobled in 1717 and 1718.

The letter:

I am almost dead having bin up all night with my sister who is this minute brought to bed of a son & daughter, I hope she is like to do well but has had a very tedious labour & is at present very weak, I am hartily glad it is over both for her sake & ours. for I do very sincerly wish to be at Basseldon, I desire if you do not intend com̃ing soon you will write to me, I have ye head ache so much I can say no more only to subscribe my selfe
yrs most ffaithfully
M ffane
august ye 14
my duty to yr mother

No comments:

Post a Comment