Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha's letter to Caroline of Ansbach, Queen of Great Britain, dated September 17, 1737

Source:

Letters, in the original, with translations, and messages, that passed between the King, Queen, Prince and Princess of Wales; on occasion of the birth of the young Princess, 1737



Above: Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, Princess of Wales, painted by Charles Philips.


Above: Caroline of Ansbach, queen of Great Britain, painted in the manner of Michael Dahl.

The letter:

MADAME,
Je prens la liberté de remercier trés humblement votre Majesté de l'honneur qu'Elle m'a fait deux fois de me venir voir, et aussi d'avoir bien voulu être Maraine de ma fille. Je suis trés mortifiée de ne pouvoir le faire en personne, comme j'aurois certainement fait, si par les Ordres du Roy, il ne m'eût été defendû. Je suis trés affligée de la maniere dont la conduite du Prince a été representée à vos Majestez, et sur tout dans l'Article de deux Voiages que nous fimes de Hampton Court à Londres la Semaine avant mes Couches. J'ose assûrer, votre Majesté, que les Medecins et la Sage-Femme furent alors de l'opinion, que je n'accoucherois pas avant le mois de Septembre, et que le Mal dont je me plaignois etoit seulement la Colique; et en effet, Madame, est-il croiable que si j'étois allée deux fois à Londres, dans le dessein et l'attente d'accoucher, je serois retournée à Hampton-Court. Je me flatte que le tems, et les bons offices de votre Majesté, apporteront un heureux changement, à une situation d'affaires d'autant plus douleureuse pour moi, que j'en suis la cause innocente. Je suis avec tout le respect imaginable,
Madame,
Votre tres humble,
et tres obeïssante
Fille et Servante,
AUGUSTE.
Kew le 17
Sept. 1737.

English translation:

MADAM,
I Take the Liberty most humbly to thank your Majesty for the Honour you did me in coming twice to see me, and also for having been pleased to be Godmother to my Daughter. I am extreamly mortify'd that I could not do it in Person, as I certainly should have done, if the King's Orders had not put it out of my Power. I am extreamly concern'd at the Manner in which the Conduct of the Prince has been represented to your Majesties, and especially in the Article relating to our two Journeys from Hampton Court to London the Week before I was brought to Bed. I can venture to assure your Majesty, that the Physicians and the Midwife were then of Opinion, that I should not lie in before the Month of September, and that the Pain I complained of was only the Cholick; and indeed, Madam, is it credible, that if I had gone twice to London with the Design and Expectation of being brought to Bed, I should have returned to Hampton Court? I flatter my self, that Time and your Majesty's good Offices will procure a happy change to the present Situation of Affairs, which must affect me so much more sensibly, as I look upon my self to be the innocent Cause of it. I am with all imaginable Respect,
Madam,
Your most
humble and
most obedient
Daughter and
Servant,
AUGUSTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment