Monday, May 10, 2021

Dowager Queen Adelaide of the United Kingdom and Hanover's letter to her niece Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland, dated July 7, 1837

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, dowager queen of the United Kingdom and Hanover, painted by Sir William Ross.


Above: Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland, painted by Sir William Ross.

The letter:

WINDSOR CASTLE, 7th July 1837.
MY DEAREST NIECE, — I must, before I leave this dear Castle, once more express to you the grateful sense I entertain for the kind treatment I have experienced from you since it has pleased our heavenly Father to put you in possession of it. You have contributed much to my comfort under all the painful and distressing circumstances of this time of woe, and I assure you that I ever shall remember it with sincere gratitude.

I hope that you continue quite well and do not suffer from the exertions and duties of your new position. My best wishes and prayers attend you on all occasions, for I shall be for the rest of my life devoted and attached to you as your most affectionate Aunt and Subject,
ADELAIDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment