Monday, May 10, 2021

Princess Feodore of Leiningen's letter to her half-sister Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland, dated July 31, 1837

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Feodore of Leiningen, princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, painted by Sir William Ross.


Above: Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland, drawn by Sir Edwin Landseer.

The letter:

LANGENBURG, 31st July 1837.
MY DEAREST VICTORIA, — On arriving here, I found your dear letter of the 9th of this month; and some days ago I received the one of the 16th. Many, many thanks for them both; it is indeed kind of you to write to me now when you have so much to do. You have no idea what a feeling it is, to hear and read of you, and to think that it is you, my own dear sister, who are the object of general observation, and, I may say, admiration; it is sometimes like a dream. For those who are near you it is quite different than for me, who have not seen you yet in your new position, but must represent to myself all through the report of others. The description in the papers of your proroguing Parliament I read with great interest; it must have been an imposing moment for you, your standing for the first time in your life in the middle of that assembly where the interests and welfare of your country are discussed and decided upon. It is with pride, pleasure, and anxiety I think of you at the description of such scenes and occurrences. I saw too by the papers that your incognito at the Opera was not quite kept as you wished it. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment