Monday, May 10, 2021

Queen Mary of France's letter to Thomas Wolsey, year 1514

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 117, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Mary Tudor, queen consort of France, painted by Jan Gossaert.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, artist unknown.

The letter:

... I recomaund me un to you as hertly as I can, and as schoth ... intreated as the kynge and you thought I schuld have ben, for .... the morn next after the maryage, all my servants, both men and women [were] dyscharged. Insomoch that my mother Guldeford was also dischargyd, whom as ze knowe the kynge and zou willed me in eny wyse to be cowncelled. But for eny thynge I myght do, yn no wyse myght I have any graunt for her abode here, which I assure you my lord is moch to my discomffort; besyd meny other discomffortis that ze wold full lyttyll have thought. I have not zet seen yn Fraunce eny lady or jentill woman so necessary for me as sche ys nor zet so mete to do the kynge my brother service as sche ys. And for my part my lord, as ze love the kynge my broder and me, fynd the meanes that sche may yn all hast com hither agayn, for I had as lefe lose the wynnynge I schall have yn France as to lose her counsell when I schall lacke it, which is not like long to be required, as I am sure the nobill men and jentillmen can schew you more than becometh me to wryte yn this matter. I pray you my Lord gyf credens forther to my moder Guldeford yn every thyng concernynge thys matter. And albehit my Lord of Northfollke h[ath] nethyr deled best with me nor zet with her at thys tyme: zet I pray you allwayes to be good lord un to her. And wold to God my ...... had ben so good to have had zou with me hither when I ha[d my lo]rd of Northfolke. And thus fare ze weale My Lord. Wryt[ten from Abbeyv]ile the xijthe. daye of Octobr.

My Lord I pray you gyve credens to my .........ord yn my sorows she have delyve.
... Yowr on whyl I lefe
MARY ........

To my lovynge frend
Th'archebishop of Zorke.

Note: like = likely

No comments:

Post a Comment