Monday, May 10, 2021

Queen Mary of France's letter to Thomas Wolsey, dated January 10, 1515

Source:

Original letters, illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 119, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Mary Tudor, queen consort of France, painted by Jan Gossaert.


Above: Thomas Wolsey, later Cardinal, artist unknown.

The letter:

My nanne good Lord, I recomend me to yow and thankyng yow for yor kynde and lovyng Letter, dysyryng yow of yor good contenevans and good lessones that yow hathe gyffen to me; my lord, I pray yow as my trust ys in yow, for to remember me to the Kyng my brother, for sowche causses and bessynes as I have for to do; for as now I have no nother to put my trust in but the Kyng my brother and yow. And as yt shall ples the Kyng my brother and hys Counsell I wolbe horderd. And so I pray yow, my lord, to show hys Grace, seyng that the Kyng my howsbande ys departed to God, of whos sole God pardon. And wher as yow a vyse me that I shulde macke no promas, My Lord, I trust the Kyng my brother and yow wole nat reken in me sovche chyldhode. I trust I have so horderd my selffe so sens that I came hether, that I trust yt hathe ben to the honar of the Kyng my brother and me, sens I come hether, and so I trust to contenew. Yff ther be any thynge that I may do for yow I wold be glade for to do yt in thys partes. I shalbe glade to do yt for yow. No more to you at thys tyme but Jhs preserve yow. Wretten at Pares the x. day of January 1515.
By yowr lowyng
frende MARY
QUENE OF FRANCE.

To my Lorde of Yorke.

Note: nother = none other

horderd = ordered

sens = since

No comments:

Post a Comment