Monday, May 10, 2021

Princess Elizabeth's letter to her brother-in-law King Philip II of Spain, year 1555

Sources:

La vie d'Elizabeth, reine d'Angleterre, volume 1, Gergorio Leti, 1703


The girlhood of Queen Elizabeth, a narrative in letters, Frank Arthur Mumby, 1909



Above: Princess Elizabeth, artist unknown.


Above: Philip II, King of Spain and jure uxoris King of England and Ireland, painted by Anthonis Mor.

The letter:

SIRE,
J'ai été informée de l'empressement que vôtre Majesté a témoigné, & de la genérosité avec laquelle elle s'est employée, a me tirer d'une prison aussi dure, & aussi longue que celle où j'ay été. Je l'aurois soufferte avec plus de patience, si j'avois été accusée d'une chose moins sensible à mon cœur, que celle d'avoir manqué de fidelité à la Reine ma sœur. Mais me sentant aussi fidéle & aussi zelée à son service, que j'en suis; je ne puis que me sentir déchirer au cœur, au seul souvenir d'une disgrace, que m'a pû faire paroître coupable d'une telle faute. Que si mon cœur avoit été capable de concevoir seulement l'ombre d'une telle pensée, je l'arracherois de mes propres mains: & c'est là aussi ce qui m'a rendu la prison insupportable. A Dieu ne plaise pourtant que j'accuse jamais de mes disgraces, que moy-même, ni que je dise jamais rien qui puisse interesser la Gloire, ou la Justice de la Reine ma sœur. Je suis persuadée qu'il ne faut imputer mon malheur & ma prison qu'à ma mauvaise étoile; & que sa Majesté est si généreuse & si juste, qu'elle ne pourrois se resoudre à faire du tort au moindre de ses sujets, combien moins, à une sœur infortunée, qui n'a jamais eu d'autre pensée, que de lui témoigner une aussi grande obéissance, que le moindre de ses sujets. Je ne croi pas aussi offenser la Clemence, & la Bonté de la Reine envers moy, si je rens très-humbles graces à vôtre Majesté, de ce que vous avez eu la bonté d'appuyer mes intérêts, si généreusement, pour me faire donner la liberté. Il ne peut venir que des graces & des faveurs, d'un Roy aussi grand que vôtre Majesté: c'est ce qui me fait prendre aujourd'hui la liberté, de vous supplier de me continuer vôtre protection, & d'être assuré que je serai toûjours, de vôtre Majesté. La trés-humble, servante & sujette.
ELIZABETH.

English translation (from source 2):

[1555.]
Sire, — I have been informed of the speed and generosity which your Majesty has shown in bringing about my deliverance from an imprisonment as weary and as long as any I have known. I should have borne it with more patience if I had been accused of anything which had wounded me less than the charge of disloyalty to the Queen, my sister. But knowing how devoted and zealous for her I have always been, I feel cut to the quick at the disgrace of even being thought capable of such a fault. If it were possible for my heart to harbour only the shadow of a thought of this nature I would tear it out with my own hands; and it was this which made my prison unbearable. God forbid, however, that I should impute the blame of my disgrace to any one but myself, or that I should say anything to detract from the honour or justice of the Queen. I am convinced that I must attribute my misfortune and my imprisonment to my unhappy destiny, Her Majesty being so generous and so just that she is incapable of ever doing any wrong to the least of her subjects, much less to her unhappy sister, who has had no other thought than to give her as much obedience as the meanest of her subjects. I do not think I shall belittle the clemency and kindness of the Queen towards me if I offer to your Majesty my very humble thanks for your goodness in so warmly supporting my cause, thus enabling me to regain my liberty. This could only have been brought about by the good offices and favours of a King as powerful as your Majesty. It is for this reason that I am emboldened to-day to entreat the continuance of your protection, and to assure you that I shall be always your Majesty's very humble Servant and Subject, ELIZABETH.

Note: meanest = lowliest, least.

No comments:

Post a Comment