Thursday, July 15, 2021

Margaret Paston's letter to John Paston, dated April 2, year circa 1449

Source:

The Paston Letters. 1422-1509 A.D., Volume 1, compiled by Edward Arber and James Gairdner, 1872


The letter:

To my rytz wurschipful Mayster, Jon Paston, be this delyverid in hast, dwelling in the Inner Tempill.

Rytz wurschipful hosbond, I recommawnd me to zu, praying zu to wete that my kosyn Cler dynyd with me this day; and sche told me that Heydon was with her yister even late, and he told her that he had a letter from the Lord Moleynys, and schewyd her the same letter, praying hym that he wold seyn to his frends and wele willerres in this contre that he thanketh hem of her godewill, and for that thei have done for hym; and also praying Heydon that he wold sey to Rychard Ernold of Crowmer that he was sory and evyl payd that his men maden the afray up on hym, for he seyd it was not be his will that his men xuld make afray on noman in this contre with owth rytz grett cause. And as for that was don to zu if it mytz ben prevyd that he had don otherwise to zu than rytz wold as for the mevabyl godis, ze xuld ben content, so that ze xuld have cawse to kon hym thank; and he prayd Heydon in the letter that it xuld ben reportid in this kontre that he wold don so, if he had don otherwyse than he owth to don.

The frere that cleymyth Oxned was in this town zastyrday and this day, and was ledgid att Beris, and this afternon he rod, but qhedder I wote not. He seyd pleynly in this town that he xal have Oxnede, and that he hath my lord of Suffolkes good lordschip, and he wol ben his good lord in that mater. There was a persone warnyd my moder with in this to days that sche xuld ben ware, for thei seyd pleynly sche was lyk to ben servyd as ze were servyd at Gressam with in rytz schort tyme. Also the Lord Moleyns wrott in his forseyd letter that he wold mytyly, with his body and with his godis, stand be all tho that had ben his frends and his wel willers in the mater towching Gressam, and preyd Heydon that he wold sey to them that thei xuld not ben aferd in non wyse, for that was don it xuld ben abedyn by.

My moder prayith zu that ze wil send my brother Willyam to Kawmbrege anomynale and abok of sofystre of my brother Emundes, the qheche my seyd brother be hestid my moder the last tyme he spak with her, that he xuld asent to my brother Willyam. The blisseful Trinyte have zu in his keping.

Wretyn at Norwyche in hast, on the Wodenysday next be for Palm Sonday.
Zowres,
M. P.

With modernised spelling:

To my right worshipful Master, John Paston, be this delivered in haste, dwelling in the Inner Temple.

Right worshipful husband, I recommend me to you, praying you to wit that my cousin Clere dined with me this day; and she told me that Heydon was with her yester even late, and he told her that he had a letter from the Lord Moleyns, and shewed her the same letter, praying him that he would sayen to his friends and well-willers in this country that he thanketh him of her goodwill, and for that they have done for him; and also praying Heydon that he would say to Richard Arnold of Cromer that he was sorry and evil paid that his men maden the affray upon him, for he said it was not be his will that his men should make affray on no man in this country without right great cause. And as for that was don to you if it might been proved that he had don otherwise to you than right would as for the movable goods, ye should been content, so that ye should have cause to kon him thank; and he prayed Heydon in the letter that it should ben reported in this country that he would don so, if he had don otherwise than he ought to don.

The friar that claimeth Oxnead was in this town yesterday and this day, and was lodged at Beris, and this afternoon he rode, but whither I wote not. He said plainly in this town that he shall have Oxnead, and that he hath my lord of Suffolk's good lordship, and he would been his good lord in that matter. There was a person warned my mother within these two days that she should been ware, for they said plainly she was like to been served as ye were served at Gresham within right short time. Also the Lord Moleyns wrote in his forsaid letter that he would mightily, with his body and with his goods, stand be all tho[se] that had been his friends and his well-willers in the matter touching Gresham, and prayed Heydon that he would say to them that they should not been afraid in none wise, for that was done it should been abiden by.

My mother prayeth you that ye will send my brother William to Cambridge a nominal and a book of sophistry of my brother Edmund's, the which my said brother behested my mother the last time he spake with her, that he should a sent to my brother William. The blissful Trinity have you in his keeping.

Written at Norwich in haste, on the Wednesday next before Palm Sunday.
Youres,
M. P.

Notes: shew = to show.

make affray on = to attack. Affray is related to the word "afraid".

been ware = beware.

sophistry = philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment