Thursday, July 1, 2021

Queen Margaret of Scotland's letter to Lord Thomas Fiennes, 8th Baron Dacre, dated September 1515

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 1, page 127, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825


The letter:

MY LORDE DAKERS
I comend me to zou as hartely as I can, and I have seen zour vryteng and ondarstande at length, and I parcayve that ze ar nouht sykerly informyd in what stat I stand in, for ze trow yat I may pas vhar ever I vyl vyshe, is nowht trw; but yes berrar can schow zou ye trowht of all, and vhat my mynd is, and how I am constraynd to doo a gan my vyl. And I pray zou gyf hm kredens as ze valde doo to my selfe, for it is owr lang to vryt, for I have gret trast in yes man. And send me zour uter mynd and ansuer in all thyng: and God kype zou. Vryten vyth my hand yes Monday.
Zour frend
MARGARET R.

With modernised spelling:

MY LORD DACRE
I commend me to you as heartily as I can, and I have seen your writing and understand at length, and I perceive that ye ar not sickerly informed in what state I stand in, for ye trow that I may pass wherever I will wish, is not true; but this bearer can show you the truth of all, and what my mind is, and how I am constrained to do again[st] my will. And I pray you give him credence as ye would do to myself, for it is over long to write, for I have great trust in this man. And send me your utter mind and answer in all thing: and God keep you. Written with my hand this Monday.
Your friend
MARGARET R.

Notes: sickerly = surely

trow = to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment