Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Princess Victoria of Kent's letter to her uncle Leopold, King of the Belgians, dated September 14, 1834

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Princess Victoria of Kent, future Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland, artist unknown.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, lithograph by Nicolas Eustache Maurin.

The letter:

TUNBRIDGE WELLS, 14th September 1834.
MY DEAREST UNCLE, — Allow me to write you a few words, to express how thankful I am for the very kind letter you wrote me. It made me, though, very sad to think that all our hopes of seeing you, which we cherished so long, this year, were over. I had so hoped and wished to have seen you again, my beloved Uncle, and to have made dearest Aunt Louisa's acquaintance. I am delighted to hear that dear Aunt has benefited from the sea air and bathing. We had a very pretty party to Hever Castle yesterday, which perhaps you remember, where Anne Boleyn used to live, before she lost her head. We drove there, and rode home. It was a most beautiful day. We have very good accounts from dear Feodore, who will, by this time, be at Langenburg.

Believe me always, my dearest Uncle, your very affectionate and dutiful Niece,
VICTORIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment