Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Princess Victoria of Kent's letter to her uncle Leopold, King of the Belgians, dated February 2, 1835

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907


The 200th post on this blog!


Above: Princess Victoria of Kent, future Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland, artist unknown.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, artist unknown.

The letter:

KENSINGTON PALACE, 2nd February 1835.
MY DEAREST UNCLE, — I know not how to thank you sufficiently for the most valuable autographs you were kind enough to send me. I am particularly delighted with that of Louis Quatorze, "le grand Roi," and my great admiration.... You will not, I hope, think me very troublesome if I venture to ask for two more autographs which I should very particularly like to have; they are Mme. de Sévigné's and Racine's; as I am reading the letters of the former, and the tragedies of the latter, I should prize them highly. Believe me always, my dearest Uncle, your most affectionate and dutiful Niece, VICTORIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment