Friday, October 23, 2020

Queen Mary II's letter to Electress Sophia of Hanover, dated June 16/26, 1689

Source:

Memoirs of Mary, queen of England (1689 to 1693), together with her letters, etc., edited by Richard Doebner, Leipzig, Veit & comp., 1886



Above: Queen Mary II of England, painted by Sir Peter Lely.


Above: Electress Sophie of Hanover, artist unknown.

The letter:

de Hamptoncour ce 26/16. de Juin [1689].
Ma cousine,
ce n'est pas par compliment tant que par inclination que je vous escris a present par le chevalier Colt. Ne voulent negliger aucune ocation de vous temoigner mon estime, je lui ay donne order de vous en assurer de ma part. Je vous prie de me faire la justice de le croire et d'estre persuade que le plus grand plesir que je puis avoir est la continuation de vostre amitie. Je tacheres de la meriter, en me montrent tous jour,
ma cousine,
vostre tres afectione cousine
Marie R.

English translation (my own):

From Hampton Court, this 26/16 of June 1689.
My Cousin,
It is not as much of a compliment as of an inclination that I am writing to you now by the knight Colt. Not wanting to neglect any opportunity to testify to you my esteem, I have ordered him to assure you of it. I beg you to do me the justice to believe it, and to be persuaded that the greatest pleasure that I can have is the continuation of your friendship. I will try to deserve it, always showing myself,
My Cousin,
Your very affectionate cousin
Mary R.

No comments:

Post a Comment