Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Princess Victoria of Kent's letter to her uncle Leopold, King of the Belgians, dated December 28, 1834

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Princess Victoria of Kent, future Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland, lithograph by Francis William Wilkin.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, lithograph by Creuzbauerin: Karlsruhe.

The letter:

ST. LEONARDS, 28th December 1834.
MY DEAREST UNCLE, — I must again, with your permission, write you a few lines, to wish you a very happy new year, not only for this year, but for many to come. I know not how to thank you sufficiently for the invaluable and precious autographs which you were so very kind as to send me. Some of them I received a few days ago, and the others to-day, accompanied by a very kind letter from you, and a beautiful shawl, which will be most useful to me, particularly as a favourite one of mine is growing very old. I wish you could come here, for many reasons, but also to be an eye-witness of my extreme prudence in eating, which would astonish you. The poor seagulls are, however, not so happy as you imagine, for they have great enemies in the country-people here, who take pleasure in shooting them.

Believe me always, my dearest Uncle, your very affectionate and most grateful Niece,
VICTORIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment