Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Princess Victoria of Kent's letter to her uncle Leopold, King of the Belgians, dated November 19, 1834

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Princess Victoria of Kent, future Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland, painted by Sir George Hayter.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, painted by William John Newton.

The letter:

ST. LEONARDS, 19th November 1834.
MY DEAREST UNCLE, — It is impossible for me to express how happy you have made me by writing so soon again to me, and how pleased I am to see by your very kind letter that you intend to write to me often. I am much obliged to you, dear Uncle, for the extract about Queen Anne, but must beg you, as you have sent me to show what a Queen ought not to be, that you will send me what a Queen ought to be.

Might I ask what is the very pretty seal with which the letter I got from you yesterday was closed? It is so peculiar that I am anxious to know.

Believe me always, dear Uncle, your very affectionate, very dutiful, and very attached Niece,
VICTORIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment