Sunday, September 12, 2021

Anna Blackburne's letter to Carl Linnaeus, dated June 29, 1771

Source:

The Linnean Society of London


The letter:

Sir
Having a Bro[the]r who lives near New York in North America, who Annually enriches my Cabinet with the productions of that Country, if it wou'd be agreeable to you I wou'd send you a few Birds & insects, which I believe are not in your Sys[tema] Nat[ur]æ & which he kill'd within 50 miles of that place.

From Liverpoole I can send them to Stockholm, if you will let me know to whose care there you wou'd have them address'd, if you do not write soon the Season for ships sailing for Stockholm, for this Summer will be over.

Mr. Ell is telling me he always wrote to you in Englis[h] encourage'd me to do it but if French is more agreeable to you my next shall be in that Language.
from Sir Your Most Obedient
Humble Servant
Anna Blackburne

P. S.
Please to write to me by the Post. & Direct it to Mrs. Blackburne at Orford near Warrington Lancashire England and I shall be sure to get it.

if you favor me with an answer, pray let me know whether I directed my letter properly or not.
Orford June ye 29th 1771.

No comments:

Post a Comment