Saturday, September 11, 2021

Princess Mary's letter to unknown nobleman, year circa 1551

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 2, page 161, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Princess Mary, painted by Master John.

The letter:

It is no small greyf to me to parceyve that they whom the Kyngs Ma.te my father (whose soule God pardon) made in thys worlde of nothyng in respecte of that they be comme to nowe, and at hys last ende put in truste to se hys Wyll perfourmed, wherunto they were all sworne upon a boke; it gryeveth me I say, for the love I beare to theym, to se both howe they breake his Wyll, and what usurped power they take upon theym, in makyng (as they call it) lawes both clean contrarye to hys procedyngs and Wyll, and also ageynst the coustome of all crystendome, and (in my conscyence) ageynst the lawe of God and hys Chyrche, whiche passeth all the reste. But thoughe you, among you, have forgotten the Kyng my father, yet bothe Gods commandment and Nature wyll not suffre me to do so; wherfore wyth Gods helpe I wyll remayne an obedyent chylde to his lawes as he lefte theym, tyll suche tyme as the Kyngs Majestie my brother shall have parfayt yers of discrecyon to ordre the power that God hath sent hym, and to be a Judge in theyse matters hym self; and I doubte not but he shall then accept my so doyng bettre then theyrs which have taken a pece of his power vpon theym in his mynoryte.

I do not alitle mervayle that you can fynde fawte with me for observyng of that lawe whiche was allowed by hym that was a Kyng not only of power, but also of knowledge howe to order hys power, to whiche lawe all you consented, and semed at that tyme to the outwarde apparance very well to lyke the same, and that you can could fynde no fawte all this whiell wt some amongste your selfes, for runnyng halfe a yere befor that which you nowe call a lawe, ye and before the byshopps cam togyther, wherin me thynketh you do me very myche wrong if I shuld not have asmyche preemynence to contynew in kepyng a full authorysed lawe made without parcyalyte, as they had, bothe to breake the lawe which at that tyme your selfes muste neds confesse was of full power and strengthe, and to vse alteracyons of theyr owne Invencyon contrarye both to that ye and to your newe lawe as you call it.

With modernised spelling:

It is no small grief to me to perceive that they whom the King's Majesty my father (whose soul God pardon) made in this world of nothing in respect of that they be come to now, and at his last end put in trust to see his will performed, whereunto they were all sworn upon a book; it grieveth me I say, for the love I bear to them, to see both how they break his will, and what usurped power they take upon them, in making (as they call it) laws both clean contrary to his proceedings and will, and also against the custom of all Christendom, and (in my conscience) against the law of God and His Church, which passeth all the rest. But though you, among you, have forgotten the King my father, yet both God's commandment and nature will not suffer me to do so; wherefore with God's help I will remain an obedient child to his laws as he left them, till such time as the King's Majesty my brother shall have perfect years of discretion to order the power that God hath sent him, and to be a Judge in these matters himself; and I doubt not but he shall then accept my so doing better then theirs which have taken a piece of his power upon them in his minority.

I do not a little marvel that you can find fault with me for observing of that law which was allowed by him that was a King not only of power, but also of knowledge how to order his power, to which law all you consented, and seemed at that time to the outward appearance very well to like the same, and that you can could find no fault all this while with some amongst yourselves, for running half a year before that which you now call a law, ye and before the bishops came together, wherein me thinketh you do me very much wrong if I should not have as much preeminence to continue in keeping a full authorised law made without partiality, as they had, both to break the law which at that time yourselves must needs confess was of full power and strength, and to use alterations of their own invention contrary both to that ye and to your new law as you call it.

Note: suffer = to allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment