Saturday, September 18, 2021

Mary, Queen of Scots's letter to her cousin Queen Elizabeth I of England, dated July 5, 1568

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 2, page 246, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Mary, Queen of Scots, painted by François Clouet.


Above: Queen Elizabeth of England, artist unknown.

The letter:

Madame
Although the necessitee of my cause (which makith me to be importune to you) do make you to judge that I am out of the way, yet such as have not my passion, nor the respects wherof you ar perswaded, will think that I do as my cause doth requyre. Madame I have not accused you, neither in wordes nor in thought, to have usid your self evell towards me; and I beleeve that you have no want of good understanding to keepe you from perswasion against your naturall good inclynation. But in the meane tyme I cannot chose (having my senses) but perceive very evell furderance in my matters, sence my comming hither. I thought that I had sufficiently discourcid unto yow the discommodities which this delay bringeth unto me. And spetially, that they think in this next moneth of August, to hold a Parlement against me and all my servants. And in the meane tyme I am stayde heere, and yet will you that I shuld put my self further into your Contrey (without seeing you) and remoove me further from myne, and there to do me this dishonnor at the requestes of my Rebelles, as to send Commissioners to heere theim against me, as you wold do to a meane subject; and not heere me by mouth. Now Madame, I have promised you to come to you: and having there made my mone and complaint of those Rebelles, and they comming thither not as possessers but as subjectes to answer, I wold have besought you to heere my justification of that which they have faulsly set furth against me: and if I could not purge myself therof, you might then discharge your handes of my causes, and let me go for such as I am. But to do as you say, if I wer coulpable, I wold be better advised. But being not so, I cannot accept this dishonnor at their handes, that being in possession they will comme and accuse me before your Commissioners, wherof I cannot lyke. And seeing you think it to be against your honor and cousynage to do otherwise, I beseech you that you will not be myne enemye untill you may see how I can discharge my selfe every waye. And to suffre me to go into France, where I have a dowery to mainteyn me; or at the least to go into Scotland, with assurance that if there come any strangers thither, I will bynd my self for their retourne without any prejudice to you. Or if it please you not to do thus, I protest that I will not impute it to falshode if I receyve strangers in my contrey, wythout makyng you any other discharge for it. Do with my body at your will, the honnor or blame shalbe yours. For I had rather dy heere, and that my faythfull servants may be succourid (though you wold not so) by strangers, then to suffer theim to be utterly undon upon h.. to receyve in tyme to come particuler commodite. There be many things that moove me to feare that I shall have to doo in this contrey with other then with yow. But forasmuch as nothing hath followed upon my last mone, I hold my peace. Happen what may happe, I have as leef to abyde my fortune, as to seeke it and not fynde it. Further, it pleased you to gyve lycence to my subjects to go and come. This hath ben refusid me by my Lord Scroope and Mr. Knolles (as they say) by your commandement, because I wold not depart hence to your charge untill I had answer of this Lettre; though I shewed them that yow requyred my answer upon the two pointz conteyned in your Lettre. Th'one is (to let you breefly understand them) I am come to you to make my mone to you; the which being heard, I would declare unto you myne innocency, and then requyre your ayde. And for lack therof I cannot but make my mone and complaint to God, that I am not heard in my just quarell; and to appele to other Princes to have respect therunto, as my case requyreth; and to you Madame first of all, when you shall have examynid your conscience before and have him for witnes: and th'other, which is to come further into your Contrey, and not to come to your presence: I will esteeme that as no favor, but will take it for the contrary: obeying it as a thing forced.

In the meane tyme I beseech yow to retourne to me my Lord Heris, for I cannot be without him, having none of my counsell heere; and also to suffre me, if it please you, without further delay, to depart hence, whither so ever it be, out of this Contree. I am sure you will not deny me this simple request for your honor's sake, seing it doth not please you to use your naturall goodnes towards me otherways. And seeing that of myne accord I am come hither, let me depart againe with yours. And if God permit my causes to succeede well, I shalbe bownd to you for it; and happeninge otherwise, yet I cannot blame you.

As for my lord Flemin, seeing that upon my credit you have suffred him to goo home to his house, I warrant you he shall passe no further, but shall retoorne when it shall please you. In that you trust me I will not (to dy for it) deceave you: but from Donbertran, I answer not, when my L. Flemyn shalbe in the Towr; for they which ar within it will not let to receive soucours, if I do not assure theim of yours. No, though you wold charge me withall. For I have left them in charge to have more respect to my servants and to myne estat, then to my life.

Good suster be of an other mynde. Wyn the hart, and all shalbe yours, and at your commandment. I thought to satisfy you holely, if I might have seene you. Alas do not as the serpent that stoppeth his heering, for I am no inchanter, but your suster and naturall cousyne. If Cesar had not disdaynid to heere or reede the complaint of an advertiser, he had not so dyed. Why should Prince's cares be stopped, seeing they are payntid so long; meaning that they shuld heere all, and be well advised before they answer. I am not of the nature of the basilisk, and lesse of the camelions, to turne you to my lykenesse: and though I shuld be so dangerouse and curst as men say, yow ar sufficiently armyd with constance, and with justice, which I requyre of God, who give you grace to use it well, with longe and happy lyfe. From Carlile this vth. of July 1568.
Your good suster and cousyne
MARYE R.

With modernised spelling:

Madame,
Although the necessity of my cause (which maketh me to be importune to you) do make you to judge that I am out of the way, yet such as have not my passion, nor the respects whereof you are persuaded, will think that I do as my cause doth require. Madame, I have not accused you, neither in words nor in thought, to have used yourself evil towards me; and I believe that you have no want of good understanding to keep you from persuasion against your natural good inclination. But in the meantime I cannot choose (having my senses) but perceive very evil furtherance in my matters since my coming hither. I thought that I had sufficiently discoursed unto you the discommodities which this delay bringeth unto me. And specially, that they think in this next month of August to hold a Parliament against me and all my servants. And in the meantime I am stayed here, and yet will you that I should put myself further into your country (without seeing you) and remove me further from mine, and there to do me this dishonour at the requests of my rebels, as to send commissioners to hear them against me, as you would do to a mean subject; and not hear me by mouth. Now, Madame, I have promised you to come to you: and having there made my moan and complaint of those rebels, and they coming thither not as possessors, but as subjects to answer, I would have besought you to hear my justification of that which they have falsely set forth against me: and if I could not purge myself thereof, you might then discharge your hands of my causes, and let me go for such as I am. But to do as you say, if I were culpable, I would be better advised. But being not so, I cannot accept this dishonour at their hands, that being in possession they will come and accuse me before your commissioners, whereof I cannot like. And seeing you think it to be against your honour and cousinage to do otherwise, I beseech you that you will not be mine enemy until you may see how I can discharge myself every way. And to suffer me to go into France, where I have a dowry to maintain me; or at the least to go into Scotland, with assurance that if there come any strangers thither, I will bind myself for their return without any prejudice to you. Or if it please you not to do thus, I protest that I will not impute it to falsehood if I receive strangers in my country without making you any other discharge for it. Do with my body at your will, the honour or blame shall be yours. For I had rather die here, and that my faithful servants may be succoured (though you would not so) by strangers, then to suffer them to be utterly undone upon hit to receive in time to come particular commodity. There be many things that move me to fear that I shall have to do in this country with other than with you. But forasmuch as nothing hath followed upon my last moan, I hold my peace. Happen what may hap, I have as lief to abide my fortune, as to seek it and not find it. Further, it pleased you to give license to my subjects to go and come. This hath been refused me by my Lord Scrope and Mr. Knollys (as they say) by your commandment, because I would not depart hence to your charge until I had answer of this letter; though I shewed them that you required my answer upon the two points contained in your letter. The one is (to let you briefly understand them) I am come to you to make my moan to you; the which being heard, I would declare unto you mine innocency, and then require your aide. And for lack thereof I cannot but make my moan and complaint to God, that I am not heard in my just quarrel; and to appeal to other princes to have respect thereunto, as my case requireth; and to you, Madame, first of all, when you shall have examined your conscience before and have him for witness: and the other, which is to come further into your country, and not to come to your presence: I will esteem that as no favour, but will take it for the contrary: obeying it as a thing forced.

In the meantime I beseech you to return to me my Lord Herris, for I cannot be without him, having none of my council here; and also to suffer me, if it please you, without further delay, to depart hence, whithersoever it be, out of this country. I am sure you will not deny me this simple request for your honour's sake, seeing it doth not please you to use your natural goodness towards me otherwise. And seeing that of mine accord I am come hither, let me depart again with yours. And if God permit my causes to succeed well, I shall be bound to you for it; and happening otherwise, yet I cannot blame you.

As for my Lord Fleming, seeing that upon my credit you have suffered him to go home to his house, I warrant you he shall pass no further, but shall return when it shall please you. In that you trust me I will not (to die for it) deceive you: but from Dumbarton, I answer not, when my L. Fleming shall be in the Tower; for they which are within it will not let to receive succours if I do not assure them of yours. No, though you would charge me withal. For I have left them in charge to have more respect to my servants and to mine estate than to my life.

Good sister, be of another mind. When the heart and all shall be yours, and at your commandment. I thought to satisfy you wholly, if I might have seen you. Alas, do not as the serpent that stoppeth his hearing, for I am no enchanter, but your sister and natural cousin. If Caesar had not disdained to hear or read the complaint of an advertiser, he had not so died. Why should princes' cares be stopped, seeing they are painted so long; meaning that they should hear all, and be well advised before they answer. I am not of the nature of the basilisk, and less of the chameleons, to turn you to my likeness: and though I should be so dangerous and cursed as men say, you are sufficiently armed with constance, and with justice, which I require of God, who give you grace to use it well, with long and happy life. From Carlisle, this Vth of July 1568.
Your good sister and cousin
MARY R.

Notes: used yourself evil = used yourself malevolently.

want = lack.

discommodities = inconveniences.

specially = especially.

"that they think in this next month of August to hold a Parliament against me and all my servants" = "they" refers to Mary's rebellious subjects.

mean = lowly.

moan = complaint.

cousinage = kinship.

suffer = to allow.

"For I had rather die here" = "For I would rather die here."

h.. = hit.

hap = to happen.

"I have as lief to" = "I would rather"

shewed = showed.

innocency = innocence.

"I warrant you" = "I guarantee you"

In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings.

advertiser = warner.

"he had not so died" = "he would not have died the way he did."

No comments:

Post a Comment