Sunday, September 12, 2021

Anna Blackburne's letter to Carl Linnaeus, dated October 14, 1771

Source:

The Linnean Society of London


The letter:

Sir
By the Ship Good hope the master Peter Larson from London to Stockholm, I have sent a small box containing a few Birds and insects directed as you desired to Mr. Carl Linne. Stockholm. which I hope you will receive safe, and wish you may find any thing worthy of your acceptance in it.

I was at Oxford in the year 1769 and remember the incident you mention very well, one of the Gentlemen with us told us that a Foreigner then present was surprized to see a Lady that knew any thing of plants, the person contended with was the Gardener who was also a great dunce.

There are many Ladies in this Country that are very fond of plants, one only of my acquaintance that knows them scientifically which is Lady Ann Monson this knowledge I have taken some pains to acquire, & tho I have labour'd under many difficultys, not knowing one word of Latin when I began to study Your Systema Naturæ, which hath employ'd my leasore hours for the last 4 or 5 years, in which time tho I have not been able to acquire a thorough knowledge of it I have so far succeeded as to be able to find out most things, w[hi]ch I assure you I think an amply recompence for all the pains it has cost me.

My Father has one of the best Colections of plants in this country, but at 73 years old, thought at late to begin to learn a new system and therefore I had little help from him.

I wish it was as much in my power as it is in my inclination to send you a new plant and shou'd think my self very highly honour'd by Your puting my name to it.

My Colection of dry'd Birds is pritty is pretty nu... my Cabinet is not destitute of Shells, Insects, Fish, & Fossils, & if my Brother lives, will increase fast. I am not so happy as to know Mr. Banks & Dr. Islander, from a freind of theirs this day I receive'd a letter to acquaint me he had been with them & view'd their store & found they have 100 new genera & a 1000 new species of plants, 150 Birds, 200 Fish, 50 insects, & 20 quadrupeds, not the variety of shells & corals that one might have expected, but probably you may have received a better account. With Compliments and best wishes
I am Sir Your Most Obedient Humble Ser[van]t
Anna Blackburne
Orford Oct[obe]r ye 16 :14: 1771

P. S. I shou'd be very glad to hear you receive the Box safe, & to have your Opinion of the contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment