Sunday, September 12, 2021

Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland's letter to her uncle Leopold I, King of the Belgians, dated April 4, 1838

Source:

The letters of Queen Victoria: a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1831 and 1861: published by authority of His Majesty the King, edited by Arthur Christopher Benson and Viscount Reginald Baliol Brett Esher, 1907



Above: Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and Ireland, painted by Henry Collen.


Above: Leopold, King of the Belgians, painted by Sir George Hayter.

The letter:

BUCKINGHAM PALACE, 4th April 1838.
MY DEAREST UNCLE, — Vous ne m'en voudrez pas, I sincerely hope, for not having written to you sooner to thank you for your kind letter, which I received last week, but I really could not do so. As honesty is the best policy, I will tell you the simple fact. I have been out riding every day for about three hours, which quite renovates me, and when I come home I have consequently a good deal to do, what with seeing people, reading despatches, writing, etc. You will, I trust, now quite forgive your poor niece, whom you so often call "the little Queen," which is, I fear, true; but her feelings of affection are not so small as her body is, I can assure you.

The Prince de Ligne will be received with every possible attention, I can promise; it would have been so without his being recommended; his rank, and, above all, his being one of your subjects, would of course entitle him to a good reception from me....

There is another sujet which I wish to mention to you, et que j'ai bien à cœur, which is, if you would consult Stockmar with respect to the finishing of Albert's education; he knows best my feelings and wishes on that subject....

Notes: "Vous ne m'en voudrez pas" = "You won't blame me."

sujet = subject.

"et que j'ai bien à cœur" = "and that I have at heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment