Saturday, September 11, 2021

Madame de Maintenon's letter to Anne, Duchesse de Richelieu, after the death of Anne of Austria, queen regent of France, dated February 20, 1666

Source:

Lettres de Madame de Maintenon, volume 1, 1757



Above: Françoise d'Aubigné, Madame de Maintenon, painted by Henri Gascar.


Above: Anne, duchesse de Richelieu, artist unknown.


Above: Anne of Austria, queen regent of France, painted by Charles and Henri Beaubrun.

The letter:

Le 20 février 1666.
Je vous remercie, madame, de tout mon cœur, de la retraite que vous m'offrez; mais je suis bien éloignée aujourd'hui de penser à quitter la rue Saint-Jacques; il n'y a qu'une vie retirée qui puisse me convenir dans la situation où me réduit la mort de la reine. J'aurai l'honneur, madame, de vous porter moi-même le voile, et tel que vous l'avez commandé. Mon deuil est bien différent de celui de la cour; j'ai à pleurer ma bienfaictrice, et mon repos et mon bonheur. Avez-vous lu, madame, le sonnet que l'abbé a fait sur cette mort? C'est la plus belle chose du monde. Il faut que l'abbé aime la vertu, puisqu'il la loue si bien.

English translation (my own):

February 20, 1666.
I thank you, Madame, with all my heart, for the retreat you are offering me; but I am very far today from thinking of leaving the Rue Saint-Jacques; there is only one withdrawn life that can suit me in the situation to which the death of the Queen has reduced me. I will have the honour, Madame, to wear the veil for you myself, and as you have ordered. My mourning is very different from that of the court; I have to mourn my benefactress, and my rest and my happiness. Have you read, Madame, the sonnet that the Abbot wrote on this death? It is the most beautiful thing in the world. The Abbot must love virtue, since he praises it so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment