Saturday, September 18, 2021

Queen Elizabeth I of England's letter of warrant to Lord Burghley asking him to stay the execution of the Duke of Norfolk, year 1572

Source:

Original letters illustrative of English history, series 1, volume 2, page 262, edited by Henry Ellis, 1825



Above: Elizabeth I, queen of England, artist unknown.

The letter:

My Lord me thinkes that I am more beholdinge to the hindar part of my hed than wel dare trust the forwards side of the same, and therfore sent to the Levetenant and the S., as you knowe best, the Ordar to defar this execution till the here furdar. And this may be done I doubte nothing, without curiositie of my further warrant, for that ther rasche determination upon a very unfit day was countermauned by your considerat admonition. The causes that move me to this ar not now to be expressed, lest an irrevocable dede be in mene while committed. If the wyl nides a Warrant, let this suffice, all written with my none hand.
Your most lovinge Soveraine
ELIZABETH R. ...

With modernised spelling:

My Lord, methinks that I am more beholding to the hinder part of my head than well dare trust the forwards side of the same, and therefore sent to the Lieutenant and the S., as you know best, the order to defer this execution till they hear further. And this may be done I doubt nothing, without curiosity of my further warrant, for that their rash determination upon a very unfit day was countermanded by your considerate admonition. The causes that move me to this are not now to be expressed, lest an irrevocable deed be in mean while committed. If they will needs a warrant, let this suffice, all written with mine own hand.
Your most loving Sovereign
ELIZABETH R. ...

Note: the = they.

No comments:

Post a Comment