Monday, February 22, 2021

Margaret Paston's letter to Edmund Paston, dated April 1448

Sources:

The Paston Letters. 1422 to 1509 A.D., Volume 1, compiled by Edward Arber and James Gairdner, 1872



The letter:

To my ryth wyrchypful hwsbond, Jon Paston, be this lettyr delyveryd in hast.

Ryth wyrchypful hwsbond, I recomawnd me to zw, desyryng hertyly to heryn of zour wel fare, praying zw to wete that I was with my Lady Morley on the Satyrday next after that ze departyd from hens, and told here qhat answer that ze had of Jon Butt, and sche toke it ryth straw[n]gely, and seyd that sche had told zw, and schewyd zw i now [enough], qher by ze myth have knowleche that the releve owt [ought] to ben payd to her. And sche seyd sche wyst wel that ze delay it forthe, that sche xuld nowth have that longyth to her ryth. And sche told me hw it was payd in Thomas Chawmbers tym, qhan her dowther Hastyngs was weddyd; and sche seyd sythyn that ze wyl make none end with her, sche wyl sew therfore as law wyl.

I conseyvyd be here that sche had cwnsel to labore azens zw therin withyn ryth schort tym. And than I prayd her that sche wuld vwche save nowth to labowr azens zw in this mater tyl ze kom hom; and sche seyd nay, be her seyth, sche wuld no more days zeve [give] zw therin. Sche seyd sche had sett zw so many days to a kord with her, and ze had broke them, that sche was ryth wery therof; and sche seyd sche was but a woman, sche must don be her cownseyl, and her cwnseyle had avysyd her, so sche seyd sche wyld do. Than I prayd her azyn that sche wuld teryn [tarry] tyl ze kom hom, and I seyd I trostyd veryly that ze wuld don qhan ze kom hom, as itt longeth to zw to don; and if ze myth have very knowleche that sche awyth of ryth for to have itt, I seyd I wyst wel that ze wuld pay it with ryth gode wyl, and told her that ze had sergyd to a fownd wrytyng therof, and ze kwd non fynd in non wyse. And sche sayd sche wyst wele there was wrytyng therof inow, and sche hath wrytyng therof hw Syr Robert of Mawthby, and Sir Jon, and my grawnsyre, and dyverse other of myn awncesterys payd it, and seyd nevyre nay therto. And in no wyse I kwd not geyn no grawnth of her to sesyn tyl ze kom hom; and sche bad me that I xuld don an erand to my moder, and qhan I kam hom, I dede myn erand to her. And sche axyd me if I had spokyn to my lady of this forseyd mater, and I told her hw I had do, and qhat answer I had; and sche seyd sche xuld gon to my Lady Morles on the nexst day, and sche xuld speken to her therof, and a say to getyn grawnt of her to sesyn of the forsayd mater tyl that ze kom hom. And truly my moder dede her dever ryth feythfully therin, as my cosyn Clare xal tellyn zw qhan that he speketh with zow; and sche gete grawnt of my seyd lady that there xuld nowth ben don azens zw therin, and ze wold acordyn with her, and don as ze owyn to do be twyx this tym and Trinyte Sunday.

Laueraw[n]ce Rede of Mawthhy recommawndeth hym to zu, and prayt zw that ze wyl vwchesave to leten hym byn [buy] of zw the ferm barly that ze xuld have of him, and if ze wyl laten hym have it to a resonabyl pris, he wyl have it with ryth a gode wyl; and he prayit zw if ze wyl that he have it, that ze wyl owche save [vouchsafe] to send hym word at qhat pris he xuld have the kowmb as hastyly as ze may, and ellys he must be purvayd in other plase.

As twchyng other tydyngs, I sopose Jon of Dam xal send zw word in a letter. As it is told me veryly, Heydon xal not kom at London this term.

It is seyd in this contre that Danyell is owth of the Kyngs gode grase, and he xal dwn and all hys mene, and all that ben hys wele wyllers; there xal no man ben so hardy to don nether seyn azens my Lord of Sowthfolk, nere non that longeth to hym; and all that have don and seyd azens hym, they xul sore repent hem. Kateryn Walsam xal be weddyd on the Munday nexst after Trinyte Sonday, as it is told me, to the galaunte with the grete chene; and there is purvayd for her meche gode aray of gwnys, gyrdelys, and atyrys, and meche other gode aray, and he hathe percheysyd a gret purcheys of v. mark be zer to zevyn her to her joynture.

I am aferd that Jon of Sparham is so schyttyl wyttyd, that he wyl sett hys gode to morgage to Heydon, or to sum other of ywre gode frendys, but if [unless] I can hold hym inne the better, ere ze kom hom. He hath ben arestyd sythyn that ye went, and hath had moche sorw at the sewte of mayster Joh Stoks of London for x. mark that Sparham owt to hym; and in gode feyth he hath had so moche sorow and hevynesse that he wyst nowth qhat he myth don. I fell hym so disposyd that he wold asold and asett to morgage all that he hath, he had nowth rowth to qhom, so that he myth an had mony to an holpyn hym self wyth; and I entretyd hym so, thatt I sopose he wyll nother sellyn ner sett to morgage, nother catel ner other gode of hese, tyl he speke with zw. He soposeth that al that is don to hym is att the request of the Parson of Sparham and Knatylsale. I sopose it is almas to comfort hym, for in gode feyth he is ryth hevy, and hys wyf al so. He is nowth nw under arest, he hath payd hys feys, and goth at large; he was arestyd att Sparham, of on of Knatysales men.

Hodge Feke told me thatt Sym Schepherd is styl with Wylly, and if ze wyl I xal purvey that he xal be browth hom er ze kom hom. It is told me that he that kept zour schep was owth lawyd on Munday at the swth of Sir Thomas Todynham, and if it be so, ze arn nowth lyk to kepe hym longe. And as twchyng that that ze badeyn me speken for to Bakton, he seyth he is wel avysyd that sche seyd sche wuld never have to don with all, ner he kan not pek that sche seyd sche hath non ryth to have it, and he wyl say lyche as he hath herd her seyd; if sche speke to hym therof, he wyll rather hold with zw than with her. I pray ye that ze wyl vwche save to send me word hw ze spede in zour matter twchyng Gressam, and hw Danyel is in grace. Harry Goneld hath browth to me xls. of Gressam syn ze zede, and he seyth I xal have more or Qhythson tyd, if he may pyk it up.

I sopose Jamys Gressam hath told zw of other thyngs that I have sped syn ze zedyn hens. If I her any strawnge tydyngs in this contre, I xall send zw word. I pray zw that I may ben recommawndyd to my Lord Danyel.

The Holy Trynyte have zw in hys kepyng, and send zw helth and gode spede in al zour maters twchyng zour ryth.

Wretyn at Norwyche, on the Wedenys day nexst after thatt ze partyd hens.
Yors,
MARGARETE PASTON.

With modernised spelling:

To my right worshipful husband, John Paston, be this letter delivered in haste.

Right worshipful husband, I recommend me to you, desiring heartily to hearen of your welfare, praying you to weet that I was with my Lady Morley on the Saturday next after that ye departed from hence, and told her what answer that ye had of John Butt, and she took it right strangely, and said that she had told you, and shewed you enough, whereby ye might have knowledge that the relief ought to been paid to her. And she said she wist well that ye delay it forth, that she should not have that longeth to her right. And she told me how it was paid in Thomas Chambre's time, when her daughter Hastings was wedded; and she said sithen that ye will make none end with her, she will sew therefore as law will.

I conceived be here that she had counsel to labour against you therein within right short time. And then I prayed her that she would vouchsafe not to labour against you in this matter till ye come home; and she said nay, be her saith, she would no more days give you therein. She said she had set you so many days to accord with her, and ye had broke them, that she was right weary thereof; and she said she was but a woman, she must don be her counsel, and her counsel had advised her, so she said she would do. Then I prayed her against that she would tarryen till ye come home, and I said I trusted verily that ye would don when ye come home, as it longeth to you to don; and if ye might have very knowledge that she ought of right for to have it, I said I wist well that ye would pay it with right good will, and told her that ye had searched to a found writing thereof, and ye could none find in none wise. And she said she wist well there was writing thereof inow, and she hath writing thereof how Sir Robert of Mautby, and Sir John, and my grandsire, and diverse other of mine ancestors payed it, and said never nay thereto. And in no wise I could not gain no grant of her to seizen till ye come home; and she bade me that I should don an errand to my mother, and when I came home, I did mine errand to her. And she asked me if I had spoken to my lady of this forsaid matter, and I told her how I had do, and what answer I had; and she said she should gon to my Lady Morley's on the next day, and she should speaken to her thereof, and a say to getten grant of her to sesyn of the forsaid matter till that ye come home. And truly my mother did her devoir right faithfully therein, as my cousin Clere shall tellen you when that he speaketh with you; and she get grant of my said lady that there should not been don against you therein, and ye would accorden with her, and don as ye owen to do betwixt this time and Trinity Sunday.

Laurence Reed of Mautby recommendeth him to you, and prayeth you that ye will vouchsafe to leten him buyen of you the farm barley that ye should have of him, and if ye will leten him have it to a reasonable price, he will have it with right a good will; and he prayeth you if ye will that he have it, that ye will vouchsafe to send him word at what price he should have the comb as hastily as ye may, and else he must be purveyed in other place.

As touching other tidings, I suppose John of Damme shall send you word in a letter. As it is told me verily, Heydon shall not come at London this term.

It is said in this country that Daniel is out of the King's good grace, and he shall down and all his men, and all that been his will willers; there shall no man been so hardy to don neither sayen against my Lord of Suffolk, nor none that longeth to him; and all that have done and said against him, they should sore repent him. Katharine Walsham shall be wedded on the Monday next after Trinity Sunday, as it is told me, to the gallant with the great chin; and there is purveyed for her much good array of gowns, girdles, and attires, and much other good array, and he hath purchased a great purchase of V. mark be ear to given her to her jointure.

I am afraid that John of Sparham is so shittel witted, that he will set his good to mortgage to Heydon, or to some other of your good friends, but if I can hold him in the better, ere ye come home. He hath been arrested sithen that ye went, and hath had much sorrow at the sewte of master John Stokes of London for X. mark that Sparham owed to him; and in good faith he hath had so much sorrow and heaviness that he wist not what he must don. I fell him so disposed that he would asold and aset to mortgage all that he hath, he had not rede to whom, so that he must an had money to an helpen himself wit; and I entreated him so, that I suppose he will neither sellen nor set to mortgage, neither cattle nor other good of his, till he speak with you. He supposeth that all that is done to him is at the request of the Parson of Sparham and Knatysale. I suppose it is almost to comfort him, for in good faith he is right heavy, and his wife also. He is not now under arrest, he hath paid his fees, and goeth at large; he was arrested at Sparham, of one of Knatysale's men.

Hodge Feke told me that Sym Shepherd is still with Wylly, and if ye will I shall purvey that he shall be brought home er ye come home. It is told me that he that kept your sheep was outlawed on Monday at the suit of Sir Thomas Tuddenham, and if it be so, ye aren not like to keep him long. And as touching that that ye baden me speaken for to Bacton, he saith he is well-advised that she said she would never have to don with all, nor he cannot peck [?] that she said she hath none right to have it, and he will say like as he hath heard her said; if she speak to him thereof, he will rather hold with you than with her. I pray ye that ye will vouchsafe to send me word how ye speed in your matter touching Gresham, and how Daniel is in grace. Harry Goneld hath brought to me XL s. of Gresham sin[ce] ye yede, and he saith I shall have more or Whitsuntide, if he may pick it up.

I suppose James Gresham hath told you of other things that I have speed sin[ce] ye yeden hence. If I hear any strange tidings in this country, I shall send you word. I pray you that I may been recommended to my Lord Daniel.

The Holy Trinity have you in His keeping, and send you health and good speed in all your matters touching your right.

Written at Norwich, on the Wednesday next after that ye parted hence.
Yours,
MARGARET PASTON.

Notes: hearen = to hear

weet = to know

shew = to show

sithen = afterwards

seizen = to seize

azens = ayens = against

tarryen = to tarry

grandsire = grandfather

gon = to go

speaken = to speak

getten = to get

very = true

devoir = duty

tellen = to tell

owen = to owe

leten = to let

buyen = to buy

sayen = to say

attires = dresses

ear = bundle of grain fruit

given = to give

shittel witted = cowardly, easily frightened

if = unless

ere = before

V. mark = 5 mark

X. mark = 10 mark

almas = best

heavy = miserable

rede = advice

like = likely

yede; yeden = went

XL s = 40 shillings

hold with = side with

No comments:

Post a Comment