Sunday, March 21, 2021

Henrietta Maria of France's letter to Cardinal Richelieu, undated

Source:

Lettres inédites de Henriette-Marie de France, reine d'Angleterre, edited and published by Charles, comte de Baillon, E. Perrin, Paris, 1884



Above: Henrietta Maria of France, queen consort of England, painted by Sir Anthony van Dyck.


Above: Cardinal Richelieu, painted by Philippe de Champaigne.

The letter:

Mon cousin, vous m'avés toujours témoigné tant d'amitié que j'implore vostre secours, pour vous prier de m'aider en mon affliction. Je crois ne pouvoir m'adresser à personne qui pourroit mieux m'assister, ayant recongneu l'affection que vous m'avés toujours portée: c'est pourquoy je vous prie d'avoir pitié de ma misère et de faire ce que vous pourrés pour me soulager en mes maux, et vous assurer que vous ne pourrés jamais [trouver] personne qui vous affectionne plus que moy, qui vous le fera toujours paroistre, quand les occasions s'en présenteront; estant, mon cousin,
Vostre affectionnée cousine,
HENRIETTE-MARIE.

With modernised spelling:

Mon cousin, vous m'avez toujours témoigné tant d'amitié que j'implore votre secours, pour vous prier de m'aider en mon affliction. Je crois ne pouvoir m'adresser à personne qui pourrait mieux m'assister, ayant reconnu l'affection que vous m'avez toujours portée: c'est pourquoi je vous prie d'avoir pitié de ma misère et de faire ce que vous pourrez pour me soulager en mes maux, et vous assurer que vous ne pourrez jamais trouver personne qui vous affectionne plus que moi, qui vous le fera toujours paraître, quand les occasions s'en présenteront; étant, mon cousin,
Votre affectionnée cousine,
HENRIETTE-MARIE.

English translation (my own):

My cousin, you have always shown me so much friendship that I implore your succor, to beg you to help me in my affliction. I do not think I can address myself to anyone who could better assist me, having recognised the affection you have always had for me: this is why I beg you to have pity on my misery and to do what you can to relieve me in my pains, and to make sure that you will never be able to find someone who is more affectionate to you than me, who will always show it to you when the opportunities present themselves; being, my cousin,
Your affectionate cousin,
Henrietta Maria.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment