Friday, March 19, 2021

King Kristina of Sweden's letter to Princess Katarina of Sweden, dated April 19, 1634

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 1, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751



Above: King Kristina of Sweden, engraving by Michel le Blon.


Above: Princess Katarina of Sweden, Countess Palatine consort, painted by Jakob Heinrich Elbfas.

The letter:

Högborne Fürstinna, Högtärade älskelige Käre fader-Syster,
Jag önskar Eders fürsteliga nåde mycken wälsignelse af Gudi, och tackar E. F. N. för al then höga omwårdnad och stora affection E. F. N. härtil för mig dragit, synnerlig för thet E. F. N. mig med sina wänliga skrifwelser åtskilliga gångor besökt hafwer. Jag lefwer uti then goda förhopning, E. F. N. skal och härefter sin goda wändskap emot mig continuera och beholla: lofwar mig däremot altid wela temoignera en sådan benägenhet emot E. F. N. samt E. F. N. älskelige K. Gemåhl och hela Famillen, som sielfwa naturen och E. F. Ns. höga meriter kunna förobligera den til, som är och blifwer så länge hon lefwer
E. F. Nådes
Endaste Broder Dotter
Christina.
Nyköping den 19. April 1634.

English translation (my own):

High-Born Princess, Much Honoured beloved and dear Aunt,
I wish Your Highness many blessings from God, and I thank Your Highness for all the concern and great affection you have shown me, especially for that Your Highness has honored me many times with your kind letters. I live in the good hope that you will continue and preserve your friendship toward me, I in turn promise to always show my gratitude to the person of Your Serene Highness, and will be able to oblige the one who is and who will be all your life
Your Highness's only niece
Kristina.
Nyköping, April 19, 1634.

No comments:

Post a Comment