Friday, March 19, 2021

Prince Kristina of Sweden's letter to King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden, year between 1630 and 1632

Sources:

Riksarkivet


Christina, Queen of Sweden: The Restless Life of a European Eccentric, by Veronica Buckley


Above: Kristina, future King of Sweden, painted by Jakob Heinrich Elbfas.


Above: King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden, painted by none other than Kristina.


(image courtesy of Riksarkivet)

The letter:

Gnedigster hertz liber herr vatter Weil ich daß glück nicht hab itz beij E K M. zv seyn so sick ich E M ich mein demütige Conterfeij bitt E M wolle meiner dabeij gedencke vndt balt zv mir wider kommen, mich vnter weil waß hübses sicken. ich wil alzeit from sein vndt fleijsig betten lernen. gott lob ich bin gesundt gott gebe vns alzeit güte zeitung von E M dem selbige befelle E M alzeit vndt ich werde verbleijben
E K M
gehorsame dochtere
Cath Christina P S P

English translation (by Veronica Buckley):

Honoured and beloved Father. As I have not the happiness of being with Your Royal Highness, I am sending you my portrait. Please think of me when you look at it, and come back to me soon and send me something pretty in the meantime. I am in good health, thanks be to God, and learn my lessons well. I pray God will send us good news of Your Majesty, and I commend you to His protection.
I remain,
Your Royal Highness,
Your obedient daughter
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment