Monday, August 17, 2020

Anne of Denmark's letter to King James VI, undated

Source:

Letters to King James the Sixth from the Queen, Prince Henry, Prince Charles, the Princess Elizabeth and her husband, Frederick, king of Bohemia, and from their son, Prince Frederick Henry, T. Constable, Edinburgh, 1835

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015067921414&view=1up&seq=113


Above: Anne of Denmark, Queen of Scotland, painted by Adrian Vanson.


Above: King James VI and I, painted by Adrian Vanson.



The letter:

Sir.
your mā: letter was wellcome to me I have bin as glad of faire weather as your self. the last parte of your letter, yow haue gvessed right that I wold laugh Who wold not laugh both at the persons and the subiect, but more at so well a chosen Mercurie betweene Mars and venus. yow knowe that women can hardly keepe Counsells

I humbly desire your |M| to tell me how it is possible that I should keepe this secret that haue al readie tolde it, and sh tell it to as manie as I speake with ~, and if I were a poete I wold make a song of it, and sing it to the tune of Three fooles well mett.
So kissing your hands
I rest
yours ~
Anna R.

No comments:

Post a Comment