Monday, August 17, 2020

Princess Mary of Orange's letter to Frederik Hendrik of Orange-Nassau, dated July 7, 1642

Source:

http://emlo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/profile/work/3fd3804f-97a7-4641-8780-a7dc4cd67e48?sort=date-a&rows=50&col_cat=Stuart,%20Mary%20(Princess%20Royal%20and%20Princess%20of%20Orange)&baseurl=/forms/advanced&start=2&type=advanced&numFound=353


Above: Mary of Orange, engraving by Crispyn van den Queboorn.


Above: Frederik Henrik of Orange-Nassau, painted by Michiel Janszoon van Mierevelt.


(photo courtesy of Koninklijke Verzamelingen Den Haag)

The letter:

7 Juillet 1642.

Monsieur mon beau Pere ayant a ocasion [illegible] d'anvoyer Monsieur Drommond vers Monsieur le Prince Guillaum e ne me peuve resouder mais de vous assurer qve ni a personne du mond qui vous souhait Plus Plus de bonneheur que moy estant
Monsieur mon beau pere
Vostre tres-affectionne belle file
Marie

de la hay cest 7 de
Jeulet 1642

English translation (my own):

July 7, 1642.

Sir my father-in-law,
Having an [illegible] opportunity to send Sir Drummond to Sir Prince William, I cannot resolve myself but assure you that there is no one in the world who wishes you more happiness than me being, Sir, my father in law,
Your most affectionate daughter-in-law
Mary

from The Hague, on this 7th of
July 1642

No comments:

Post a Comment