Monday, August 17, 2020

Princess Mary of Orange's letter to Frederik Hendrik of Orange-Nassau, dated July 2, 1642

Source:

http://emlo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/profile/work/cb7900b5-fa04-496b-bfef-abd23b5cafd3?sort=date-a&rows=50&col_cat=Stuart,%20Mary%20(Princess%20Royal%20and%20Princess%20of%20Orange)&baseurl=/forms/advanced&start=3&type=advanced&numFound=353


Source: Mary of Orange, engraving by Balthasar Moncornet.


Above: Frederik Henrik of Orange-Nassau, painted by Michiel Janszoon van Mierevelt.


(photo courtesy of Koninklijke Verzamelingen Den Haag)

The letter:

Juillet 1642.

Monsieur mon beau Pere Monsieur le Prince Guillaume alant vous trouver ie voudrois vous Jnportuner vne fois ancor auec me lettres, et ie vous remerci Pour celle qui'l vous Plut me faire la faueur de mecrire, ie vous prie de croyre que ie suis tousiours
Monsieur mon beau Pere
Uostre tres
affectionne belle fille
Marie

de la haie cest
02 de ieuliet 1642

English translation (my own):

July 1642.

Sir my father-in-law,
Sir Prince William will find you. I would like to annoy you once again with my letters, and I thank you for the one that you pleased to do me the favor of writing to me; I beg you to believe that I am still, Sir, my father-in-law,
Your very
affectionate daughter-in-law
Mary

from The Hague this
2nd of July 1642

No comments:

Post a Comment