Sunday, August 16, 2020

Queen Emma of the Franks' letter to her mother Adelaide of Burgundy, dated March 986

Source:

https://epistolae.ctl.columbia.edu/letter/64.html


Above: Emma, in a 19th century engraving by François-Séraphin Delpech.


Above: Her mother Adelaide, who is venerated as a saint in the Roman Catholic Church. Photo courtesy of Kaho Mitsuki at Wikimedia Commons.

Emma of Italy (born circa 948, died after 987) was the Queen of Western Francia as the wife of King Lothair, whom she married in 965. Their son, Louis V, was the last Carolingian king.

In this letter, written sometime in March of 986, the newly widowed Emma begs her mother, Adelaide of Burgundy, for advice and support.

The letter:

Domine A. imperatrici semper augustae H. quondam regina, nunc lumine Francorum orbata.

Elapsa sunt tempora deliciarum mearum, tempora decoris mei, o mi domina et o dulcis mater, dum is, quo fiorente florebam, quo regnante regnabam, me hactenus coniugem in perpetuum viduam fecit. O amara dies VI n. mart., que, michi virum eripuit, que me in has miserias praecipitavit! Intelligat pia mater gemitum et angustias filie doloribus plene.

Non esse me penitus praeoptarem, nisi divinitas solatio reliquisset matrem. O quando videbo, quando alloquar? Nostri quidem vestre praesentie ac regis Conr. in vicinia Romarici Montis, ubi confinium regnorum est. XV kl. iun. me ac filium meum occurrere volunt. Sed hec mora mille annorum michi est. Noveritis interim Francorum principes michi ac filio simulm fidem sacramento firmasse. In hoc et in reliquis, que sequenda, que vitanda sint, vestro iuditio utemur, ut non solum H. regine, sed omnium dicamini mater regnorum. Recordamini praeterea verborum vestrorum, quod virum meum prae me dilexeritis quodque ipse prae, me vos amaverit. Prosint anime eius hi dulces affectus, et que tempolaliter exhibere non valetis, spiritualiter recompensetis per sanctos patres, id est episcopos, abbates, monachos ac per servos Dei quosque religiosissimos.

English translation:

To her lady, always imperial empress A[delaide], H[emma] once queen, now deprived of the light of the Franks.

The times of my delights, the times of my beauty have passed, o my lady and o sweet mother, since he, with whom I flourished while he flourished, with whom I reigned while he reigned, my husband until now, has made me a widow for ever. O bitter the day, the 6th nones of March, which snatched my husband from me, which cast me into these miseries. Let my pious mother perceive the anguish of sighs of her daughter filled with sorrows. I would deeply prefer not to be [me], if the divinity had not left me a mother for my comfort. O when shall I see, when shall I speak [to you]?

Our people want me and my son to meet with you and King Conrad in the vicinity of Remiremont, at the border of our kingdoms on the 15th calends of June. But this delay is a thousand years to me. You should know meanwhile that the princes of the Franks have confirmed by oath their faith/loyalty to me and my son. About this and other things, we will employ your judgement about what is to be followed, what to be avoided, as you are called the mother, not only of queen H[emma], but of all kings. Remember, moreover, your words, that you would love my husband because of me and that he would love you because of me. May these sweet feelings benefit his soul and what you can not show temporally, you may recompense spiritually through holy fathers, bishops, abbots, monks and the most religious servants of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment